Skip to main content
a note on tipping

I went out to dinner tonight with my family. Yes, my weekends have descended into spending a lot of time with my parents, which can be pretty cool, but is not entirely unpathetic, but ah well. It's just that all my friends are scattered across the country. Anyway, eating out reminded me of my lovely days last summer waitressing at Hiro. Keep this in mind when you tip someone, the kind of tip you give can weigh heavily on a person's self-esteem. If I know I wasn't a great waitress and you don't give me a great tip, then it's okay. It sucks having an off day and knowing the customers know it, but at least it's warranted. But when you're trying your best and someone gives you a crappy tip, it makes you feel horrible. It makes your best not good enough, which is likely not true, it's just likely that the customer is a cheap jerk, but logic doesn't make you feel that much better. So think about that when you go to leave a tip, you could be making your waitresses day, adding to the crap, or ruining her day. If you can't afford a good tip, you can't, but if you can, don't cheap out. Another person's happiness is more important than a few more dollars in your pocket. Also, consider this sort of logic when driving. Let someone into your lane. First of all, they are less likely to get in an accident with you if you slow down a bit and let them over. And secondly, they may be having a terrible day and you letting them over is the one good thing that has happened to them all day. Plus, if you let several people over on your way to the Catholic church on Easter Sunday, God may just smile upon you and give you a really great parking space. (Or it may just be because we were all Protestants.) Anyway, letting someone in may make you a few seconds later, but it may just make their day a bit brighter, and that's worth a lot. Just something for you to consider.

Comments