Skip to main content
So mainly I am writing to share with you some more quotes from Blue Like Jazz, but before I do I have a few none related comments to make before hand.
 
Shauna is the coolest for sending me an awesome package including Sharpies and candles and Cadbury chocolate (the best in the world) and a Care Bear.  Yay!  :)
 
Steve also gets props for sending me a really great email today.
 
And Phil too.
 
Now for the quotes:
 
“You should be sober when you make important decisions.”  (49)
 
“You know what really helped me understand why I believe in Jesus, Tony?”
“What’s that?”
“Penguins,” I told him.
“Penguins?”
“Penguins,” I clarified.  (55)
 
“Do you think God is out there somewhere?  Out there in the lumpy places?”
“I think God is everywhere.”  (97)
 
They hang there, the stars, like notes on a page of music, free-form verse, silent mysteries swirling in the blue like jazz.  (100)
 
If you are passionate about something people will follow you because they think you know something they don’t, some clue to the meaning of the universe.  Passion is tricky, though, because it can point to nothing as easily as it points to something.  (109)
 
 What I believe is not what I say I believe; what I believe is what I do.  (110)
 
Andrew would say that dying for something is easy because it is associated with glory.  Living for something, Andrew would say, is the hard thing.  Living for something extends beyond fashion, glory, or recognition.  We live for what we believe, Andrew would say.  (111)
 
“If we are not willing to wake up in the morning and die to ourselves, perhaps we should ask ourselves whether or not we are really following Jesus.”  (185)
 
Jean-Paul Sartre said hell is other people.  But that Indian speaker I really like named Ravi Zacharias says that heaven can be other people, too, and that we have the power to bring a little of heaven into the lives of others every day.  (226)
 
There is this lie floating around that says I am supposed to be able to do life alone, without any help, without stopping to worship something bigger than myself.  But I actually believe there is something bigger than me, and I need for there to be something bigger than me.  I need someone to put awe inside me; I need to come second to someone who has everything figured out.  (237)

Comments