Skip to main content
So right this makes post 182 talking about Garden State and/or Zach Braff, but something he wrote in his blog tonight I just had to share with you.

"I felt incredibly alone; I couldn't find many people who were 'in it' ... going through the mental puberty that your twenties can be. - (Or any time of your life that involves feeling long overdue for the next chapter of your life to begin.)
When I wrote Garden State, I was completely depressed, waiting tables and lonesome as I've ever been in my life. The script was a way for me to articulate what I was feeling; alone, isolated, 'a dime a dozen' and homesick for a place that didn't even exist."

That right there is it. This is why Garden State so resonates with me & really so many other people who are flocking to see it. These are the feelings I have been plagued with since I started college. And the feelings I am experiencing so profoundly right now, especially the "dime a dozen" bit because let's be honest people trying to break into Hollywood are such. People who are willing to mop up vomit (to quote Zach again) just to get to a place where they can look down a long hallway and see in the distance the tiny speck that is the ladder they hope to one day be climbing. This is the reality I am faced with, and let's be honest it is quite daunting. I keep saying that this is one of the points of my life that I will look back on as a defining period. And I know that to be true, but for now that translates to walking uphill in the snow both ways. It sucks & there's not a thing you can do. I am at the point that I started looking up restaurant job postings. This is a sad state. I have worked in a restaurant, it's a cruel existence to which I do not wish to return. I don't know what to do. And so I am left with Garden State feelings until God sees it fit to pluck me out of this and open the door I've been waiting for. I hope it's soon because 8 1/2 weeks is a long time.

Comments