Skip to main content

hilarity and stolen cookies

Last night was so funny. Raj and foundmagazine.com are largely to thank. I haven't laughed so hard in quite awhile. Some of the stuff on that site was fantasitic. And then there was this wonderful quote from Raj:

"you know, when I was sitting in my office this summer, I'd occasionally look up from my work and think, 'do you know how much more I could get done around here if somebody would just buy me a f-ing gong?'"

Good stuff kids. If you need a context, he said this after sending me a link to a gong that only cost $160. I thought perhaps he was starting a Christmas list, but certainly that's a little out of my price range, so I put it in the back of my mind to find a smaller gong. Anyway, he told me he found that in the executive gifts section of some site. Just want every exec wants.

Props to Jared & Phil for sending me great emails this weekend.

Good quote from Jared: "Isn't that what art is about? A distillation of experience? Communication of what is universal and poignant? I have to care about this right? Or, I could just get an eight-to-five job, get married, have kids, buy a house, a dog, retire at sixty-five, and die. Yes! The american dream!"

I agree with that. I mean, I still want the marriage, house, kids, and the dog. But I'm not about the 8 to 5 and the retiring. Seems that once we figured out how to prolong our lives we didn't know what to do with all the extra time, save to make the prime of life a miserable experience devoted to earning worthless money and then saving what we really want to do til we're too old to do it. That was a good plan, whoever came up with that one.

So back to Raj & to explain the stolen cookies part of the post. Well, I guess first we have to go to Dan. I was talking to him last night for a bit as he was in the car with Raj when I called. So he asked to talk to me for a bit & we talked about movies, he thanked me for recommending Garden State & said he liked it. Okay, let me just say, I'm not in this whole movie business for no reason, I know my stuff. And speaking of knowing my stuff, I Heart Huckabees will be coming to you soon, so go see that. I have no doubt that this will be a good movie. Fox Searchlight rarely goes astray. I can't really give you an exact date when it will open as they're doing the whole limited release thing, so you'll have to keep checking to see when it comes to you. It opens here on Friday, so it should be to you within the month hopefully. It will make you laugh, it may even make you think.

Anyway, back to Dan, he was saying to me that a lot of the great people in film got to the point that they just wanted to quit right before they hit it big. I think this was supposed to be encouraging, but what it really sounded like was, hey you have a lot more crap to deal with before you even get close to doing anything you'll be excited about, so enjoy! Yay. Raj later said, "Dan was right, by the way. I remember a story of some huge name actor having to break into an old cookie factory and steal food . . . or something like that." I think he was just making that up. ;) No, really it was very cool of them to be so encouraging.

I was filling out this survey last night and it asked me what I would do with $100 million. I would make a film. There would be money left over to pay back my parents for this whole move, pay off my loans & some of my friends' loans, donate to JDF & church, and probably make another movie or two. I'm all about the indie thing, you can make a great movie without wasting a lot of money & you have creative control & then if someone likes it they pay you & then they do all the hard work of getting it out there. It's not a bad gig. All you really have to do is make something worth seeing. So that's it for me. I just got a call that I actually have to do some work today, so I need to get on it. Have a delightful week everyone!

Comments