Skip to main content

low-tech blogging

(Here's a really long blog entry that I am now typing out from what I wrote on the plane.)

As I am officially authoring this entry I am sitting on a plane bound for Omaha, utilizing some good old fashioned pen & paper. Flying today reminds me just how much I hate flying. Check-in took a mere 7 minutes, but the security line was literally at least a city block long. Some of you may be aware of my propensity to exaggerate here, but this is one case when I am not. The security line took 40 minutes to get through. No worries, I arrived in plenty of time for abhorrently long lines. And hazaa for how I wasn't "randomly" selected for "special" screening today. By which of course they mean screening for Asian/Middle Eastern looking persons. Don't worry, I'm onto them. So right, back to why I hate flying, the noise. The never ending din of the sound of the airplane working. Yay for a functional aircraft, but wow how that insufferable roar makes me crazy. In case you're wondering, I also despise the clamor of a cafeteria with far too many conversations intermingling to become an indecipherable drone.

Aside from all that, though, as I flew up out of the dim haze covering Los Angeles, I was pleased to look down at my city. Los Angeles is my city. Somewhat of an odd thought as I am off to the place that has served as "my city" for the better part of my life. The place that I consider to be one of the greatest cities in the world. (I have traveled enough to have a decent perspective on this one.) Omaha, somewhere in middle America, will always be a part of me. If you've never been there, you should go. It may sound silly to take a trip to some random place in the Midwest, but trust me, it's a wonderful city. And no, it's not a hick town for those of you who don't know anything about Nebraska. I am a straight up city girl from a straight up sweet city. Geez, I have no idea how long is left on this flight (we're running late) but I'd really like to get off this plane now.

My new favorite song is "Omaha" by Grasshopper Takeover, a band that is in fact from Omaha.
I left my home back in Omaha
To see if I could make it out in the world
I got as far as Wichita
And suddenly I wasn't sure anymore
I lost all my friends in Los Angeles
And I'm not welcome in New York
But I'm a star back in Omaha

Don't read too much into the lyrics, I didn't have any friends to lose in LA. ;) Kidding, it's just a fun song.

Other good songs I've been listening to on this trip:
"Look What You've Done" - Jet
"As Lover's Go" - Dashboard Confessional
The free songs of the week from Cary Brothers- check them out at http://carybrothers.com
Sadly I didn't have enough iTunes credit to download "Winter" by Joshua Radin & I didn't want to pay for it, but you can check out a streaming version at http://joshuaradin.com. Click on Media.

So I'll leave you with that. Not sure when I'll blog next- try not to be too sad. Who knows, maybe I'll find time tomorrow. I'm just saying don't expect my almost daily updates, I wouldn't want you to be disappointed. In the meantime, if you get bored check out this site: http://toothpastefordinner.com. (Warning: only for use by those looking for unusual humor.) Have fun & in the spirit of the holiday, watch for flying monkeys all whacked out on tryptophan.

Comments