Skip to main content

"I'm tired of being freaking Santa Clause!"

For those of you participating in the having children discussion in the previous post, I replied to all of your comments and would be happy to continue the conversation should you wish to post more thoughts. Those of you who haven't been participating are welcome to join in, I assure you I will read them.

Per the title, I realize this is not the kind of spirit one expects when it comes to this blessed holiday season. This has been one of the less joyous holiday seasons for me, though. At some point you have to accept the fact that everything that made Christmas magical when you were a child has gone the way of the dinosaur. (Except Little Foot who will always live in our hearts.) This Christmas I will be spending the holiday at my sister's house in Texas. Among many things, this means bye bye to all of our long standing Christmas traditions (no matter how lame some of them may be). No Christmas Eve service at my church. No stockings. No debating on how early we can wake up the parentals. No Christmas presents to give as I can't afford them seeing as I can't even pay my bills. No going to a movie. Instead we will be waking up early to no stockings, getting ready to go to my brother-in-law's uncle's house & spending time with people who are only related to me by my sister's marriage. All the childhood magic and wonder obliterated. But I suppose 22, almost 23 is more than old enough to wake up to the cold realities of life. Or lack of cold for that matter since we'll be in Texas. I'm sorry for the bitter woe is me post & you can feel free to curse me & make me feel worse, go for it. I'm just sad, in the morose sense, not the pathetic sense. Oh, and for those of you who are offended by our tradition of going to a movie on Christmas day, here is what I say to you: our tradition of going to a movie means spending time with one another & enjoying each other's company. Still offended? Too bad.

To keep up mine & Raj's tradition of exchanging Christmas lists (http://fishtones.blogspot.com) here is what I want:
1. to be content
2. for Phil to move to LA
3. friends in LA (including but not limited to Phil)
4. my Christmas traditions
5. my own family with which to start our own traditions

To all of you who have been clamoring for all those last minute gifts, I assure you that joy cannot be bought in a store. Sorry for the lack of humor or even general conviviality in this post, it has been a very rough day & I do not desire to go into it. Let's just say that being an adult is not all it's cracked up to be. Christmas seems to be more fun when it involves a two week break from school. No Christmas break = less Christmas fun or so it seems in my first year without a Christmas break since I was 4. Of course when you're 4 there's really no need for a Christmas break. I'll let you know how next year goes.

Comments

Pete said…
I'm an LA friend. If by LA friend you mean that in the mid-west sense of the phrase (anything that is not central or northern california).