Skip to main content

and bearded Amish men were selling cheese

It has become clear to me that we all need to take a trip to Vegas. Perhaps we could disguise it as a scientific study on the correlation of enneagram type and ability to gamble well. I'm thinking there's a positive correlation. Anyone else want to get in on this? We could get grant money! And so that the participants will feel properly motivated, they would have to be allowed to keep their winnings. Should be fun. Maybe then we can fund the company without anyone having to resort to surrogacy. You know you can make (by "you" I'm referring to the girls) around $20,000 for being a surrogate? The catch is you have to have already had one child. And that's really a lot to go through for money from a stranger.

At Barnes & Noble a few weeks ago I saw a book called 14,000 things to be happy about. I didn't look at the book, but I found the concept intriguing, so I will now share with you 14,000 things that make me happy . . . okay maybe not that many but here are at least a few.
1. candles
2. the scent of fresh linens
3. Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate bars (those Brits make better chocolate than we do)
4. blogs (reading, commenting, writing, it's all a good thing)
5. cooking, especially cooking for other people
6. good music
7. friends who share good music with me, like Pieter telling me about Sigur Ros (go here http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk/media/index.html to download a bunch of their stuff)
8. chicken chili at Panera - they finally brought it back!
9. chai
10. photography
11. the Getty
12. being a girl, even with all of the crazy overanalyzation of every little thing guys do
13. getting a postcard and an email from Phil today
14. the scent of my favorite kind of fabric softener
15. the inspiration to create
16. reading good books
17. staying up really late talking to friends
18. how Alaina calls me Aunt Anina
19. how people have taken to calling me Aziner
20. how Raj still calls me Abeezna on occasion
21. the seemingly perpetual look of awe in a young child's eyes
22. chapstick
23. looking up at the stars on a clear night
24. water- rain, the ocean, waterfalls- it's all fascinating
25. Garden State
26. shows/films that manage to be funny and also meaningful, including but not limited to Garden State, Gilmore Girls, Ed, Scrubs, and The Village which is also a little scary, but it still deserves to be on this list- don't question me
27. walking outside on a sunny day and feeling the sun's light & warmth soak into your skin
28. the drawing that hangs above my bed
29. all of you wonderful people who take the time to indulge me & my ramblings
30. and bearded Amish men who sell cheese

30 is close to 14,000 in that this is my blog and I said so and in how I'm fanfreakintastically stressed out right now so 30 is a lot.

Comments

Ms. McGowan said…
What a great list; I got happy just reading it! I found that book at B&N one day and I thought it was so funny. I'm glad that you enjoy being a girl, too. One of my friends insists that it's much easier to be a guy (his primary point is that they can pee standing up...not something I've ever really longed to do), but I like being a girl- whether it's harder or not. By the way, you guys inspired me to take a personality test and, apparently, I'm a reformer/perfectionist (1). Vegas stresses me out:) Happy Tuesday!
Pete said…
Interesting that a number of Cadbury ads popped up at the bottom of your blog. Azina you sell-out. just kidding. Sherry! as an obvious #1 enneagram, i feel that, as your friend, i should encourage you to do more crazy things (ie.. move to portland, move to-or at least visit- vegas more, and more late pub nights!). Azina you should have been there. I'll havce to tell you about it in private.
Ms. McGowan said…
Pieter, please refrain from sharing late-night pub stories:) I like to do crazy things; that's why I'm friends with you! Azina, Don't believe a word he says. And, just so you know, I was looking at a Turkish bookstore website thanks to your ads. Ha. Istanbul's one of my favorite places, ever.
Jessica said…
So my question is how amish men selling cheese makes you really happy. That's all
aziner said…
:) I'm glad you liked the list, Sherry. While standing urination has little bearing on my thought process, I do wonder if it is easier being a guy. Guys who are inclined to disagree think about this, you will never have to push something that weighs as much as a bowling ball out a hole the size of a tennis ball. And the only option you have to help is getting a huge ass needle shoved in your back. Yeah, seeing as I'm needle-phobic that's not terribly appealing. Regardless, I like being a girl.

Pieter, I look forward to hearing pub stories about Sherry, but don't worry I won't believe you for Sherry's sake. ;)

Hooray for Cadbury and Turkish bookstores! See this stuff is good for everyone's life.

JJ, thanks for posting. The Amish thing comes from Phil's postcard. He was in Pennsylvania near Amish country and he was telling me about this old market he went to. I was highly amused, by him telling me about the bearded Amish men selling cheese. Plus the Amish are just cool. :)
Ronnie said…
Here in Phoenix we have an Amish furniture store.
Adam said…
it is easier being a guy...and standing urination is everything it's cracked up to be...
Ronnie said…
Thanks for posting such a sad comment on my blog. Obviously, making Ronnie happy is not one of your happy things.
raj said…
there really is nothing like Alaina saying our names. As "Uncle Dodge," I reccommend that anyone who does not have a cute two-year-old niece should get one as soon as possible. I don't care if you're an only child. If you really cared about your unborn niece, you'd go the extra mile.

maybe it is just the school bills talking, but if I had girl-parts, I'd have to seriously consider the surrogacy thing. I would like to think that I would lease my gestation station for a cool 20k. I do have one question about that though. My 21st birthday is coming up, and it leads me to wonder if you only get paid like half if the baby has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome or something like that. I'm sure there are lawyers for this kind of thing.

For all of those who don't know me very well, I am in no way an advocate of purposefully (or otherwise) giving a baby FAS. If you or someone you know has a problem with alcoholism, please visit a local church or counseling center to find out information about treatment programs. Or you can find out online at http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/. In case any non-alcoholics out there were wondering, I perused the website and there was no member's directory. I was kinda disappointed.
Anonymous said…
HEY! My neighbors are Amish! And Amish kids rode my school bus! And dude, Amish cheese is fan-freakin-tastic, along with everything else the Amish make. Don't knock the crazy Pennsylvania Amish!
And I'm seriously considering the surrogacy thing. That's alot of money. I've had a few offers for the father of my first child, and I've determined that Azina can be the mom for me. haha. My children will call her Auntie Zina cuz I feel the 'A' should be left out and not the 'Z'
Anyway- your post has inspired me to also consider things that make me happy....I'll get right on that.
Nicole
Melleners said…
I really enjoyed your list. I'm a huge music fan and love turning people onto bands they haven't yet heard of. Sigur Ros kick boo-tay!