Skip to main content

with a side of blogging

Yes, I'll take a side of blogging with my lunch.

"When our dreams gave way to plans, our other friends faded back into thoughts of responsibility and comfort." - our beloved Donald Miller in his first book Prayer and the Art of Volkswagen Maintenance recently re-released as Through Painted Deserts. Something Galen said last night reminded me of that quote. (Just a note, I haven't really read the book yet, just a few pages, that quote just happened to be in the pages I read. I'm sure I will have lots to say once I finish it & you kids will be the first to know.) Anyway, I can't pretend that I've never chosen comfort over some crazy dream, but in general I don't believe in settling. I don't think there's anything wrong with living lives of whimsy and adventure. Of course there are responsibilities to tend to, but we are dreamers and if we stifle all our dreams then our lives become dull and grey. And I'm pretty sure that's no way to live and it certainly doesn't show any gratitude toward the One who gave us life. Plus if you think about it, you can accomplish something important and still hold on to whimsy. Just look at creation, God didn't say, well I guess I should make all "normal" animals. Yes, I realize at that point there wasn't really any such thing as normal animals as there were no animals, but go with me here. He made a monkey with a red butt! Umm I seem to have gotten carried away with myself, I'll try to remember my point . . . Ah yes, I don't believe life was supposed to be routine and dull and safe. You should take a random road trip on a Sunday to see grandma because you thought of it in the shower getting ready for church. You should throw a banana under the bed in a hotel in India because you cannot stand to eat one more and it's the only way you can convince your mother it's gone. You should move to LA because there's nothing better to do. You should fall in love. You should do any number of the millions of things that pop into your head. I know sometimes money is a restraint, but if you can get around it, do it. It should be noted that I am not in any way advocating robbing your neighbor, robbing a complete stranger, or robbing a bank or any other establishment. This disclaimer is brought to you in part by the Azina does not wish to be implicated as an encourager of pilfering goods organization. The point is, follow some of the fun and crazy and whimsical thoughts that pop into your head, assuming of course they do not conflict with the 10 Commandments. Again, I do not wish to be implicated in the event of any robberies, murders, idol-making, etc. Right, so yeah go turn your dreams into plans and don't settle for anything less. Figure out what you red-butted monkey is and make it happen.

Comments

Galen said…
Preach it girl.
aziner said…
Thanks Galen. :)