Skip to main content
Okay so I'm frustrated with something and I don't know how to say this in a way that doesn't sound horrible, so please bear with me. I am frustrated and shocked by the lack of response I am seeing on a local level in rushing aid to Pakistan. While at the same time I will be attending a comedy show a friend is opening for this weekend for which proceeds will be donated to the Red Cross for Hurricane Katrina relief. Don't get me wrong, I know there is still much need for help and rebuilding down there and I am all about sending help, but I cannot for the life of me understand why there has been no special offering taken at church and really very little talk in general about the tragedy of the earthquake in Pakistan. From what I understand the death toll in Pakistan has now surpassed 40,000 people while the death toll from Katrina is under 2000. Now I'm not trying to belittle that situation at all, but I think the numbers clearly speak to the need for stepping up for Pakistan also. So why isn't anyone saying anything?

Comments

Galen said…
I think it's mostly that everyone's done with disasters. There was the Tsunami, which we gave copiously towards; then came the left right punches of Katrina and Rita, which we again gave generously towards; and now an earthquake and a third hurricane. We're weary, and we've run out of stamina. We're too tired to give, and we don't have any money left to give anyway. Three disasters definitely cleaned me out.
Ms. McGowan said…
I find Galen's response true and terribly telling.
aziner said…
Sherry, I think you're right and that makes me remarkably sad. It is the reason that I have sat here for the past few days trying to think of how on earth I might respond. And I guess the only thing I can respond with is that until Starbucks goes out of business, I'm pretty sure there's still money left to give.