Skip to main content

Joshua Harris confused me and so I ran and hid in a corner afraid to even talk to girls

That's what I think should be the title of a new book explaining this whole dating "crisis." I was at Red Robin this weekend with 4 girls and 4 guys and the topic of dating came up. It seems to me that whenever such a discussion is brought up Joshua Harris (author of I Kissed Dating Goodbye and Boy Meets Girl) garners a lot of unfair blame. Now I'm not saying that I'm the president of the JH fan club or that he's completely right about everything, but I think he has some good points that a lot of us are missing. It's been a very long time since I've read these books and perhaps some of the things I am about to say are actually just wisdom from my own little head, though I'm pretty sure a lot of it was at the very least influenced by these books. I think most of you are aware of how important I think it is for a guy to step up and be a man when it comes to relationships, but I also disagree with the idea of dating for the sake of dating. That's part of what JH was getting at. He wasn't asking people to not date until God reveals to us the one we should marry. That's like sitting around and not applying for any jobs until God makes some completely random employer call you and say hey I think we should hire you. It's crazy, so why we would even consider taking such an approach to a more critical and lifelong decision is a mystery to me. Of course that is not to say that you sit down and send out your resume to every single job posting that you see. That's crazy also. There has to be a good mix of prayer and discernment coupled with action. This is where guys tend to drop the ball or at the very least that is what we girls are perceiving. It seems that a lot of sitting around and praying is going on with very little action. We do not expect you to know for certain that you are going to marry a girl before you start dating her. You wouldn't accept a job without interviewing. But you should have some indication that maybe this is a relationship that could go somewhere. The logical next step is to start dating to see if this is a person you could marry. This is what I think JH was trying to tell us. He was asking us to step away from the hurtful and selfish pattern of serial dating. He was asking us to be straightforward with people and for guys to have a reason for asking a girl out. And I think he was asking girls to have a reason for agreeing other than to have plans on a Friday night. He was also asking us not to play house, to allow friends of the opposite sex to fill the needs that a significant other would or to be that person who is filling needs with no intention of commitment. If you are that person all you are doing is giving someone a false sense of hope AND preventing him/her from seeing the other dating possibilities out there. That is absolutely no way to be a friend. Now when it comes to taking that step of dating and being straightforward I'm not saying that you should say hey I think we could get married let's date for awhile to see. What you should do is say hey I really enjoy our friendship and the time we spend together and I think this could go somewhere. I would like to take you out and we can decide if this is a relationship we would like to pursue together. I am aware that one or both of us may decide that this is not the right relationship and at that time we agree to end it respectfully. The key difference there is that we don't delude ourselves into thinking that there is only one possible outcome, that we are honest about what we are hoping for but realistic that it may not happen. That is the kind of thing JH was getting at as far as I'm concerned. He wanted us to turn our dating relationships into ones that honor and seek the best for the other person. He wanted us to stop trying to keep ourselves from feeling lonely by going out with any person that suited us at the time. He was asking us to be intentional and to treat those we date with love and respect. I don't know about you but I can't really see a problem with that. If you don't end up marrying the person you are with then they will be someone else's spouse in the future, that requires you to treat the person with a great amount of respect. If you do end up marrying the person then I think it goes without saying that you would want to treat them extremely well. At the end of the day dating is a very imperfect system, but we should strive to make our best out of it. That is what JH was ultimately calling us to: respectful, honoring and loving action when it comes to our relationships, not weakness or inaction. So take a minute and think about that and consider how that might better your approach to dating. Or take a minute and come up with a clever retort. Either way just think about it while I go and put my soapbox back in the closet.

Comments

Ms. McGowan said…
My best friend and I used to always say, "We unintentionally kissed dating goodbye." At least I can use the "I don't date for the sake of dating excuse" with my pushy relatives. They don't have to know that I don't get asked on dates:) Thank you, Joshua Harris.
aziner said…
Hmm I don't get asked on dates either, that's probably why I have so much time to sit around and write really long posts about the subject. ;) Boys are probably just intimidated by your coolness, but I say step up guys because Sherry is awesome & you are missing out!

On a completely random side note, if you feel like coming down to LA in December you're invited to our Christmas party on the 10th!
Ms. McGowan said…
Aww. Although I must regretfully decline the invitation (that was good, huh?), I'm honored that you invited me:) I like that you like entertaining as much as I do! I just got my Christmas tree and decorated my house for Christmas- I'm loving it.

Intimidated by my coolness- maybe that's what I'll tell the relatives. Ha. Thanks for the blogger shot out, Azina:)
Anonymous said…
Sherry, your post made me laugh out loud. Cause your situation is quite, quite familiar to me. :)

It's easy to say I'm being choosy when nobody asks me out at all! :)
Tmproff said…
We're looking, we desperatly want to ask you out...we are just afraid of "No" and we want you to show us you'll say "Yes"

I know that's pitiful, but it's the truth
Ashlee Liddell said…
Is that really all it is? Waiting for an indication of "yes"? Because if are really "desperately" wanting it then it seems to me like it would be worth the risk of a "no"...

Just a girl waiting for a godly man to say I'm worth the risk...
aziner said…
Amen Ashlee!

All I'm saying is you have 4 (if I may be so bold as to include myself) pretty amazing women here who aren't even being taken a risk on. It's not that we're just turning guys down left and right. And I've never met Sherry or Jennifer but they seem pretty terrific, so go with me on this one. So I can't really understand how there are guys out there who say they want to find a great girl but can't. Hang out in the blogverse for about five minutes and you're bound to find some pretty great girls. Just imagine who you might find in the real world.

Tmproff, I hope you don't feel as if I'm attacking you, that was not my intent at all. Though as we have already discussed on your blog, it's not like guys really know what the "yes" indications are anyway, so I'm thinking they should do us all a favor and just jump in there. :)
Anonymous said…
Hey, thanks Aziner! You seem like a pretty rockin' person yourself. :) Hence my visiting your blog and stuff.

PS: I finally bought Notting Hill on DVD last week. $7.50 at Wal-Mart baby!
Unknown said…
AMEN my wonderful friend Aziner!!! :)

pzcattf
Tmproff said…
Lets just say that most single guys aren't just sitting back and waiting. We (well at least I) are always thinking about how I wish I were not single.

Now I will say that I'm not going to just ask any girl out that I see. Sometimes a square peg just wont go into a circle hole.

I really watch someone I'm interested in and ask myself a few questions...for example "Can I handle being in an arguement with this person..can the relationship survive afterwards?"
"Does this person challenge me, do they keep my attention?"
"Is our yoke similar?"

Anyways, I haven't given up...I'm still looking