Skip to main content

"Grandma, do you know what jujitsu is?"

So I was sitting in the little food court area of Target today having a late lunch (yes Target, only due to a great lack of parking at Sharky's and the stupid rain) when I overheard a 6-year-old boy question his grandmother about her knowledge of jujitsu. The grandmother had clearly never even heard the word. The little boy started into his explanation, pleased to have something to talk about & I think a little pleased that he could teach his grandma something.

I had gone to Target to buy a few things for Easter - grass, plastic eggs, candy, extra forks as we are going to have about 4 more people here for dinner than for whom we had forks. Nothing too spectacular, nothing too expensive. I also purchased normal Target stuff that I needed. My total came to $83. As I paid the cashier said, "$83 just for Easter?" Just? JUST? It was clear from the way she had been talking to me and to the customers ahead of me that she does celebrate Easter & not in the bunny & candy way either. But as I walked out of the store I couldn't help wondering at her comment. First of all, most of the stuff I bought wasn't even related to Easter, unless Pantene Pro-V mousse specially formulated for curls and Downy Clean Breeze are suddenly Easter products & no one told me. ;P Seriously, though, Easter's important & I know the eggs & the candy & the grass don't matter (the forks do), but it's just something fun to decorate the house a bit so that on Sunday when 16 of Nicole's & my friends are over we can have fun and celebrate and remember the greatest thing that has ever happened in this world. So no I don't think any of the money I spent today that will go toward that end is too much to spend on "just" Easter. If it weren't for Easter nothing else would really matter.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well said. "If Christ be not raised, your faith is vain, ye are yet in your sins." (I forget the reference for that one)
Anonymous said…
hi. i came across your blog and i though i should say something. jennifer is absolutly right on the quote. if Jesus was not raised from the dead, our faith would be nothing.

oh btw the reference for the quote jennifer used is:
1 Corinthians 15:17


“That if you shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him (Jesus) from the dead, thou shalt be saved” (Romans 10:9)
Ronnie said…
Hello my old blogger friend! Not saying you are old, but you know what I mean.


Funny how Christmas and Easter are so intrinsically connected, but yet Easter is always a distant 2nd in most people's minds, even Christians. Perhaps we need to give more gifts and increase materalism so that the Resurrection of Christ will finally get it's due. :)