Skip to main content

it goes both ways

Spend more than about 5 seconds in a conversation about relationships and it's bound to dissolve into, "boys suck" and/or "girls suck" depending on the genders represented in the discussion. Relationships are frustrating, not being in a relationship is frustrating, but I think, no I know that cutting each other down like that isn't going to help anything. Don't get me wrong, both genders do more than their fair share of annoying & idiotic things, and have remarkably similar complaints about one another, but what if we made a serious effort to build each other up & encourage each other? It's easy to play the blame game.
"All the guys I know are idiots."
"I just can't seem to meet a nice, single, Christian girl." (Let me introduce you to about 20 of them!)
"Nice guys never ask me out."
"The girls I know wouldn't be into me."

What if we tried something different? I think most of us who are single have been taught to pray for our future spouses. But what if we tried praying for single members of the opposite sex like this,

We prayed for the single men who were already in our church to grow in godliness to reap a harvest of holiness and to find their wives. We also prayed for our pastors as they disciple the men in our church. These prayers seem to be getting answered, too. I've noticed that our monthly singles meetings seem to be dominated by young men. The worship songs we sing then are full of the rich bass sound of men singing praises to their glorious Savior, which is one of the most awesome sounds one will ever hear. I've also noted dozens of single men among the new members of our church.
- Carolyn McCulley, Solo Femininity (Thanks for pointing me to her blog, Sherry.)

How might our young adult groups transform if we started praying for God to raise up men and place a strong desire to lead on their hearts and women of passion and beautiful grace? We won't know until we try. I plan on doing just that. Oh and for the record, there is something amazing & very attractive about guys who can unabashedly worship God.

Comments

raj said…
I think that besides guys suck, girls suck, and let's pray for each other there is a fourth option. How 'bout the gender-neutral "you suck"? Anyone?
Tmproff said…
I totally agree with you :) There is nothing more amazing than hearing a group of men worshipping God together. When I was much younger, I remember going to a men's retreat and realizing how powerful this type of worship is.

Relationships have been the most joyful and painful experience of my life. I've learned a few things recently

1. Relationships are a gift from God in my life. There is nothing I can do to gain or "miss" these gifts.

2. Psalm 46:10 - Be still and know that I am God....we need to do more trusting and less complaining/worrying!

3. Proverbs 3:5-7 - Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.

4. Enjoy life! Dont worry so much....He has everything under control

5. If it were all ABOUT us, it would be all UP to us.
Ms. McGowan said…
Have you checked Carolyn's blog recently? You're a trend-setter, Azina. By the way, I totally agree with your thinking.