Skip to main content

quizno's craziness

A teller at the bank today was walking around reading a pocket-sized dictionary. (Whose pocket that is to fit in I am quite unaware.) I can only imagine she was prepping for a lunchtime Scrabble tournament.

It has come to my attention that Ravi & I are cursed with an affliction. Perhaps it is rooted in our deep love for the Red Sox. Perhaps we are irrationally violent. Whatever the cause, upon seeing someone donning a Yankees hat, we both have a desire to punch that person. Now I'm willing to admit that the individual may be misguided and simply needs to be re-educated, but still something about that NY logo just brings out violent desires in me. Don't worry, I've never actually punched anyone for this or any other reason, nor do I think I ever will. I punch like a girl, it's embarrassing really.

A week or so ago, I went to Quizno's for lunch. They were unbelievably understaffed, and I considered leaving but I had time & the manager had already seen me come in. Sherry is her name. She is a wonderfully sweet woman who recognizes me. With Quizno's right next door to my office building, I've been there a time or two in the past year that I've worked here. Sherry always says, "hello my dear!" when I go in. It makes me happy. So there's a pretty long line, but I have time and decide to wait. At the register is a guy wearing a Yankees hat (see it all ties in) and his friend. To be fair I can't remember which one of them was being the jerk, so I can't entirely blame it on the Yankees thing, but the fact that one of them had the hat on certainly didn't help my opinion of them. So the one guy goes to pay and he starts freaking out at Sherry for not putting bell peppers on his sandwich. Quizno's doesn't have bell peppers for sandwiches. This guy is creating quite a scene and Sherry tells him to leave. He walks over, grabs a bag of chips for which he did not pay and starts to walk off. Sherry tells him to put it back. He refuses. She takes the chips from him and tells him to leave. He refuses. He's becoming quite belligerent. He's interrupting business. Sherry can't help any other customers because this guy won't leave. She tells him to leave or she'll call the cops. He refuses. His friend says, come on let's just go. Sherry is noticeably upset. An air of awkwardness hangs among the other customers. Should I do something? I wonder. I want to help, but I don't know what to do. Sherry calls the cops. The guys thought she was bluffing. She wasn't. She's on the phone for about a minute before the guys finally leave. Without stolen chips. Sherry is quite flustered. I feel bad. When I order and pay for my sandwich I am as sweet to her as ever. I hope that was at least a little bright spot in her day. She is a very kind woman. I hope those guys never bother her again. Someone probably should have punched them.

Comments

Ms. McGowan said…
How awful. Witnessing these situations makes me wonder about those people "behind the counter." We're clueless [well, in this case, you're not] about the crap they've put up with. I'm sure that your smile is a blessing in her day.
Pete said…
If you smiled at me at starbucks it would make it easier to deal with the shit-heads. One of said shit-heads is actually a former christian singer/songwriter who i will leave nameless. He drives a harley now and smokes camels and comes in with two-bit sluts (at least they look like they are).
Pete said…
Sad that i'm still a person behind a counter at the age of 24...
Pete said…
well a nonmanagement person behind a counter....
aziner said…
thanks Sherry :)

thanks Pieter. Of course I would smile at you at Starbucks. :) I hate when people think that just because someone's behind a counter they are somehow less important. I've met so many wonderful people who work behind counters and I know they have harder jobs than most of us & they should be treated amazingly b/c they do deal with so much crap for no reason. Sorry you have to deal with that.

You are so much more than a 24 y.o. still working at Starbucks. Why this very evening you are launching Derailed Arts. And you're a great writer. You've got so much going on for you and you are seeking to make happen what you want in life. You just happen to work behind a counter, but that's far from defining who you are. My friend, don't ever look down on yourself, I am so proud of you for all you're doing right now & for following your passion.

And if people keep giving you crap at Starbucks, let me know & I'll see to it that they're punched in the face. :)