Skip to main content

an end to blogging?

Okay yes, I'm kind of mildly obsessed with Jared Leto. But have you heard his band 30 Seconds to Mars? They are incredible. And to be fair this post is about so much more than just extolling the virtues of one Mr. Leto. This is where my affinity for blogging and for him collide.

Regarding the thematic elements of A Beautiful Lie, 30 Seconds to Mars' sophomore release, Charles Avelon writes, "Struggle may, at first, seem like an ill-fitting focal point for Leto. As one blogger put it, 'Jared seems to have been at the front of the queue for all of life's offerings.'" (Soundcheck Magazine Sept. 2006)

No wonder according to theinquirer.net (a tech news site, not to be confused with the tabloid The Enquirer) Jared "said that he wanted blogging to die, suddenly" and that "the whole idea was ridiculous and just a playground for four-year-olds." The article continues, "And are we to suppose that Jared doesn't read them? Er no, he reads a lot of them. It is just that he doesn't think they should be cited as news sources, because most of them don't do any research or back up their opinions."

I would guess that the interview in which Jared expressed this displeasure with blogging followed closely on the heels of reading an article about his band only to discover a quote from an uninformed, uninsightful blogger about the lack of hardship in Jared's life. Okay yes, clearly he is very talented as an actor and musician (singer, guitarist, songwriter) and is quite attractive, but that doesn't give anyone the right to assume everything has just fallen in his lap. In fact just a smidge of research will land you on this quote from Jared, "I showed up in LA with $500 and a backpack and I stayed at a shelter, so nobody handed me anything. I worked for every single thing that I have."

At the end of the day, I agree that any self-respecting writer and/or publication should not publish quotes from blogs, no matter how interesting and witty they may be. Though I think we can agree Mr. Whiny Queue Writing Blogger is neither of the above. I also think there's a decent chance that what Jared Leto said was at least partially meant in jest, at least that seems to be his tone in many interviews, though I'm not going to make the assumption lest some ridiculous magazine see fit to publish my thoughts as truth about someone I've never met. That would clearly be entirely ludicrous.

Comments

Anonymous said…
as much as I hate to play into the obsession, I have to disagree on his point that, "nobody handed [him] anything." His alleged good looks and/or alleged propensity for music/acting weren't exactly things that he earned. He may have refined them, but nobody gets good bone structure through dilligent effort.
aziner said…
I'll agree with you on that one, but I think we both know that acting/singing ability does not automatically equal success. Both are brutal businesses and to be successful in both takes a great deal of work and persistence. 30STM's second album has been out for a year and they are just now finding measurable success.