Skip to main content

unto the least of these

His name is Daniel Loud Hawk.
He is a 54 year old, out of work, homeless Native American.
He is a former shoe maker with graying hair.
He has the teeth of an Englishman.
And the face of God.

He was waiting outside of Barnes & Noble for someone to offer help. I handed him the only bill I had in my wallet. And that's when something unexpected happened. He said, "You've helped me before, haven't you?" I said to him, "I don't think so." For I know I had not helped this particular man before. Daniel Loud Hawk is not an individual you would forget. But in that moment when he asked that question, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was not Daniel Loud Hawk who was speaking to me. It was my God who has been pressing on my heart not to turn a blind eye to his people in need. It was an incredible experience.

Sure I know there is a stigma against homeless individuals. "They'll only buy alcohol or drugs if you give them money." It's possible. But I don't think everyone should be condemned for the crimes of others. And it really comes down to a wise thing that Kathy, a minister at my church, said awhile back. If God is calling you to help someone, your concern is not the condition of their heart and whether or not they will abuse your generosity, that's God's concern. Your concern is doing what God asks you to do and the condition of your own heart.

I'm not writing this to say, look how awesome I am, I give to homeless people. Please don't think that's my intent. Honestly I don't always give. And with tax season coming up, I couldn't help but think, this money I'm giving away, wouldn't it be tax deductible if there was some way to track it? I really don't know. But I realized something recently. I've been thinking in small terms of how the U.S. government can reward me for giving, but doing something God calls you to do is so much bigger than that. What I reap is in God's economy and when you look at it like that, nothing else really matters.

Comments

Ronnie said…
Good post! I fully understand people's connetion to the new year and reflection etc etc, but I just think that no matter how bad we think we have it there are a million other people who have it way worse, just like your friend in front of B&N. We don't worry about where our next meal will come from, we don't worry where we'll sleep. So sometimes it just seems like our little problems don't mean as much in the grand scheme. But thanks for your comment.
Shanelle said…
Excellent style Azina. You could have been a journalist... of course you would never make any money rest assured, but you could be one.

This is meant to be complimentary... because I mostly find other peoples writing crap.
aziner said…
thanks Shanelle :)
Ronnie said…
I wasn't referring to your blog because honestly I haven't read your blogs in a bit (im sorry) my blog was in reference to a few randoms ones, but directly towards somebody in particular who lives 5 mins from the beach, has a great job, and still complains about the most pointless stuff.

I do understand discontentment and frustration with life because that's how life is, and I too have written my share of blogs that contain complaints.
Amber said…
I have been wondering about this for a while. What does Jesus teach us about giving? Seems like Jesus doesn't tell us to be concerned about what's going to happen to our money after we give it away, in cases like this. It seems like we're just supposed to give to those in need, and I think in most cases, the giving is not so much about the recipient as it is about us.
Tmproff said…
Great Story :)

I love the story of the Sheep and the Goats. the Goats say

'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?


and the Lord replied:
'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'