Skip to main content

the hills of los angeles are burning . . .


Every once in awhile when on the phone with my parents, they'll ask me if the fire is anywhere near me. Often my response is, "what fire?" Brush fires (and fairy tales) are just a part of life in Los Angeles. It's an every day occurrence in the summer. But usually at most you'll see a plume of smoke off in the distance. Yesterday was different. Don't worry, the fire was nowhere near where I live (for those to whom it was, no property or person was damaged), at least not physically but emotionally its proximity was practically at my doorstep. Just on the other side of the hill from where the Hollywood sign is perched is the apartment complex where I stayed when I came to LA to attend the LAFSC during my final semester of college. I lived there for 4 of the most important months of my life, and to see a fire (set by 2 idiot teenagers) encroaching on that place was sad. Cognitively I understand that my memories and experiences would remain untouched even if something had happened to those buildings, but I guess there's a part of me that knows as long as those buildings stand I can always go back and walk the paths my friends & I tread during those important months. Assuming of course I can get past the security gates. ;) It was also strange to wonder what would happen if the Hollywood sign went up in flames. I'm sure some uninformed ultra conservative religious wackos would find it a symbol of God's displeasure with all the horrible evil people in Hollywood. I assure you at least a handful of individuals here are neither horrible nor evil. Thankfully we don't have to find out for now. And while I'm sure they'd rebuild the sign, they have before, it would still be strange. It may just seem like a silly little symbol, but there's something about seeing the Hollywood sign for the first time that makes you realize, yeah I'm really here. Stupid kids, do us all a favor and don't steal that moment from people. Setting fire is not cool.

"Fire bad. Tree pretty."

(Oh and I found that picture at the LA Times website.)

Comments

raj said…
word to your BTVS-watching mother.
Keith said…
Azina ~ Sorry to intrude on your blog, but I am a friend of Lindsey Cooper's, heard about you and decided to check out your blog. It is funny how sometimes we give a little bit of ourselves to the walls we gre up in and are reminded of them in times of trauma, stress or strange smells. Its unfortunate, but I feel the same way about Greyhound buses. (Maybe I will blog about it.) At any rate, thanks for the words.
aziner said…
Raj, that quote was there just for you. I'm pretty sure you'd be the only one to catch that reference.

Shauna, everytime I hear that song I think of you & many times driving around that semester listening to it.

Keith, you are more than welcome to intrude. If you're friends with Lindsey you must be alright. :) I do think you should blog about the Greyhound busses. I am quite interested in reading about it. You're welcome for the words, glad you appreciated them.