Skip to main content

best. sister. ever.

(I warn you from the beginning that this is decently long, but I promise it is chock full of the humor & wit & delight & emotion you have come to enjoy here, so try to get through it all you won't be disappointed . . . and if you are I owe you a cookie.) ;)

While I do consider myself to be quite a fine sister, something I think you'll find my siblings will corroborate, I do not write this post to extol my own virtues but rather in honor of my sister Amber. Every time Raj mentions a sib in a post he makes her name a link to her blog. I say her because while we are blessed with another brother, he claims to be morally opposed to blogging which is really just an excuse for him to keep his brilliant wit locked in his mind and away from a mass public who may not yet be ready to handle it. Suffice to say, only Raj's sisters blog, thus any sibling mention/blog links would result in the feminine pronoun. Anyway, I like that he does that but I will entrust you to seek out their names at the right there. They are the top 2, so I am fully confident you will be able to handle it. If not, you probably aren't the type who is going to be able to handle my wacky and sometimes nerdy humor, so I don't expect you'll be travelling with us for long anyhow.

Back on point. Today Amber sent me a little package. That is to say it was little in size, but not so much little in meaning. She sent me Happy New Car cookies!
Most of you are aware that poor old blue-two was on it's last leg. That would be my old blue Dodge Neon, named blue-two because the car I drove prior to that which was still in my family was a blue Buick Regal aka bluey. I don't really believe in naming cars, thus they are referred to either by their make, model or color. It's simple.

So I had a decision to make. Well not so much one to make as one had already been made for me by my increasingly jankity car. I had to take a huge huge step. I had to buy a new car. The theoretical idea of it seemed like a frolic through a field of freesia. (Sans bees as that would disrupt the delightful fun I'm trying to paint for you here.) The practical thought of it, the part where I go and actually look at cars and consider purchasing one, well that was just the bees part without any of the pretty flowers. But 4 weeks ago on St. Patrick's day (as it was the only free Saturday I'd had in awhile) I decided it was finally time to take a practical step in the car search and went to the dealership where my friend Merlin works. I wasn't intent on buying that day, but at the same time I was open to the possibility of it.

As I drove over there, I seriously felt ill. Not because I thought I was making a bad decision or because I thought God was trying to tell me something, but rather because I was about to make the biggest decision I had ever made in my life and I was about to do it alone. Of course I had done a ton of research and I had consulted with my parents and Amber and Raj, but still I was going there by myself. Test drives, negotiating, signing paperwork, all that was on me & that left an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Thankfully, as I mentioned, my friend Merlin works at a Ford dealership here in LA. That made the process so much better. I didn't feel like I was being swindled by some slick salesman in a suit. I was being helped by a friend, a friend who was well aware that if he screwed me over he'd be hearing about it. And he's not the kind of person to do that. He believes in that whole more flies with honey kind of thing. (It's paid off for him, he's the youngest sales manager in Ford's history.)

Anyway, to cap off what's already been a long story, I bought a brand new kiwi green Ford Focus. It was exactly the price I could afford & with incentives ended up being cheaper than what a used car would have cost me. So without further adieu here's kiwi:
It's hard to tell here, but the car is just a nice, light, non-obnoxious shade of green. Merlin said only I would pick out a green car. I figured it'd be fun & easy to find in parking lots. So the happy new car! cookies are green because the car is. And while getting cookies from Amber is always a fantastic thing, something she wrote in her note (which caused me to tear up) was the best part of all:
"Anyway, I just wanted to do something for you because I think it's really great how you're doing your own thing and bought your own car by yourself and all that."

I can't even tell you how amazing that made me feel.
And the cookies are really yummy! :)

Comments

joser said…
Hey, nice car. Just be careful turning left into parking spaces. ;)
Amber said…
My evil plan worked! You fell for my ploy to have a post written all about me! :)
aziner said…
Joe all I have to say to that is :P

Amber, I'm okay with any evil plan that involves cookies! :)
Keith said…
yay! new cars are awesome! I understand about the car naming as well. My Jetta, for example. The name is Jet. Simple, right? Anyway, the cookies looked tastey as well. I will post soon about the Open Mic night on Sunday.
aziner said…
that is a nice and simple name for your car, Keith, I like it. I was wondering if you were going to post about the open mic night. I look forward to hearing about it. :)