Skip to main content

et tu B&BW?

For my 13th birthday one of my friends gave me Freesia products from Bath & Body Works. This was in the early days of B&BW's heyday and so it was my first personal contact with them. And I discovered that I loved the fragrance. Around that time most people were enjoying Country Apple and Sun-Ripened Raspberry. But Freesia was different and wonderful. And so it became the only scent I wore for several years. Then one fateful day in 2001 (I believe) something terrible happened and they discontinued Freesia. And so I began the arduous task of visiting every B&BW in Omaha searching for any products I could snatch up, which thankfully ended up being a decent number. Then a short time later something fantastic happened and B&BW introduced Sheer Freesia. It was new and slightly different & I was skeptical at first, but I came to enjoy it even more than original Freesia. And so without interruption I was able to continue wearing my favorite fragrance in its new improved form. That is, until now. Last night I was betrayed again. Sheer Freesia has been discontinued. None of it's products were available in the particular B&BW I was in last night, nor are they available online. Well the lotion & body wash are, but I am seeking the body splash. This is a sad day indeed for me. People know me by that scent. And while I have in the past 6 months (seriously that's it) began to extend my scent pallete from that of my 7th grade self, I still consider Freesia to be my signature scent. And so I will once again embark on a tour of various B&BW's in search of my beloved fragrance. If I am unsuccessful I will perhaps need to take a trip to Bath Junkie with my sister when I am in Houston and do my best to recreate the scent. (Bath Junkie, that funky junkie - that's for Joe.)

In a cruel twist of fate, just Wednesday night I was at Trader Joe's and picked up some Freesia flowers as they are entirely delightful. I hope that when the life drains from their buds it will not be the last time I am graced by the scent. Clearly I am being overly dramatic as even if B&BW completely fails me and I am unable to recreate an acceptable facsimile at Bath Junkie, I will still purchase the flowers from time to time. Perhaps in fact it was a gift and not cruelty that I was able to get those flowers the other night, as actually I had long thought they were out of season for this year.

Comments

Keith said…
Oh! Sad day! I know how it feels. I always wrestle over cologne scents, too, especially when I'm looking to buy some new stuff. (I currently wear John Varvatos -- very woodsy and smooth.)
Anonymous said…
Sometimes, when they have their semi-annual sale, they will bring back discontinued scents. Happy hunting:)
aziner said…
Keith,
I've never heard of John Varvatos, but I checked out the scent palette and it sounds like a really interesting (in a good way) combination of notes. Next time you find yourself looking for a new scent, check out Axe or Tag body sprays. Let's just say the commercials are fairly accurate. ;)

Sherry,
Thanks for the tip! I will definitely check out the next semi-annual sale. :)
joser said…
oh wow, I think I just lost a little respect for you there, lady... Axe, Tag, seriously? I mean I too often found myself oddly attracted to weenie, sniveling computer geeks based almost completely on the fact that they were swimming in overpriced body spray, but I was young and foolish.

I mean the commercials alone should have you running for the hills. Just tell me you were joking and we'll forget the whole thing. :)
Keith said…
Hey Az,

I wont lie and say that I've never worn Axe before --- I actually have some "phoenix" scent in the medicine cabinet. However, I really like the complexity of JV and Axe can sometimes be a little acidic. That doesn't mean I wont rock it once in a while, though. =)