Skip to main content

my masterpiece

For some reason until today I had forgotten about all these pieces I had written for my Rhetoric class in college. It was one of my favorite courses and probably the one that I think of most frequently in every day life situations. I wrote the following piece for a rhetoric of persuasion assignment. I have taken some artistic license with the retelling of the most specific details, but I assure you it holds true to the event.

It was the summer of 1986 and we had just moved into our new house. My parents were busy unpacking various boxes and my little brother Raj and I were playing in his brand new bedroom. I was four years old, but even from that young age I knew I wanted to be an artist. Sitting in my brother’s room I decided that we should draw a picture for my parents. After all, the crayons and markers were one of the few things already unpacked and parents like it when their children draw for them, or so I thought. I asked Raj to help and he would have agreed save for one small detail. I wanted our picture to be drawn on the big brand new blue wall above his bed. The bigger our canvas, the bigger our picture could be and therefore all the more special to our parents.

“Come on Raj, let’s draw a picture.”

“No, we’ll get in trouble.”

“No we won’t, they’ll love it.”

I handed him a crayon and waited for him to cave. He looked at me, at the wall, at the crayon in his hand, then back at me and there was only one choice he could make. He grasped the crayon in his small hand and went to work. Pretty soon we had crayons and markers in each hand and we went to town. Standing on his bed we could reach pretty high towards the ceiling, and before long our masterpiece covered almost the entire wall. It was a beautiful array of colors set upon the light blue backdrop. I stood back to admire our work and at that moment Mom walked into the room. I happily revealed our art, but for some reason beyond my four-year-old intellect she wasn't too pleased with us. We were in serious trouble, but at least I had my brother right there with me to share the blame.

Comments

Keith said…
UN-BE-LIEV-A-BLE. Seriously unbelievable. Keoke and I share similar stories involving spaghetti and a white wall, and mud and... us. =) Glad to see you had a partner in crime, even if he wasn't that bright, or that willing. (no offense Raj.)
aziner said…
now I am definitely intrigued about this, do share :)
Keith said…
Ok, the spaghetti story is pretty easy to recount: When we were young, we were taught that, should you want to see if spaghetti noodles are "done" as in finished cooking, you throw them against the wall. If the noodles stick to the wall, they are cooked enough to eat. Well, being the awesome young genius that I was (and am) I convinced my little brother a) the spaghetti tasted horrible and b) we needed to check to see if it was cooked well enough. We ended up throwing all of our spaghetti noodles all over the large white wall connecting the kitchen and den. The spaghetti, of course, was covered in spaghetti sauce. =) Even if it stuck to the wall, we didn't care; we were laughing our heads off at our handiwork. At least until our mom came in...
aziner said…
hahaha that story is excellent! :)
Ronnie said…
Okay well I'll ask you the same thing I asked my other friend from the midwest: If it's so great why don't you still live there? hmmmmm....