Skip to main content
Apparently scientists can now make artificial sperm which has caused an MSNBC contributor to wonder, "Will science render men unnecessary?" I think the answer to that is clear. Yes. After all men contribute nothing to society aside from the other half of a zygote. It's a wonder we don't cast out men whose swimmers have low motility or potency. I mean, it's not like men are the backbone of society. It's not like we need them to help guide our children into manhood and womanhood. It's not like there are statistics upon statistics showing how detrimental it is for children, especially boys, to grow up without a father present. It's not like we need them to be protectors and advocates and fighters. It's not like men and women were created to serve different purposes and it's not like there is great struggle when one is forced into a position not meant to be his or hers. I could go on and on but I think you get the point.

If you didn't read the article, scientists seemed to have figure out a way to make sperm from bone marrow. So theoretically artificial sperm can be made from one woman and used to impregnate another woman. Seeing as women only carry X chromosomes, it leaves me wondering if only more females can be created with this artificial sperm, which obviously wouldn't be a problem seeing as we already know how we don't need men. I'm just curious.

The only practical application I could see for this is to create artificial sperm from a man's bone marrow if say he is impotent so that he & his wife could bear their own "natural" children, but even then I think we've crossed a lot of lines with reproduction and fertility that maybe shouldn't have been crossed. And really at the end of the day I think scientists should be spending their time on more worthwhile pursuits like I don't know maybe curing diseases or something. Just a thought.

Comments

joser said…
okay, so I read the first few lines and thought to myself, "I liked it better when she wasn't blogging...," then it turned into, "what did he do?!? Raj, sick him!," but then it all made sense.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Scientists should really figure out how to cure people of diseases that shouldn't exist in the first place (diabetes, anyone?) before "fixing" problems that aren't really problems. I can get behind curing infertility in couples that can't conceive in other ways, but you KNOW that is not the way this story was meant to play in the media, and I'm sure that was not the scientist's ultimate goal. I mean, even completely immobile sperm can be used in in vitro fertilization.
Anonymous said…
I think curing infertility is important to research, but isn't there other avenues to persue? And men keep things interesting- for better or worse! Who really, would want to live without them?
aziner said…
haha quite the experience you had reading that blog, Joe. don't worry there'd be 27 ppl all lined up right away to "sick him" should such a thing ever become necessary, though my confidence is high that it will not be.

I was not aware that immobile sperm could be used in in vitro, interesting.

Jessica, I don't have a problem with helping couples conceive who have difficulty doing so, but I think there must be limits. I personally would have a really hard time if I couldn't conceive and would explore options within reason and budgetary constraints, but so many times couples who go to any lengths possible end up going through miscarriage after miscarriage and/or when they are finally able to deliver a baby that child ends up having a lot of health problems. Obviously I'm not saying that we should disregard children with health problems & I know not every naturally conceived child is perfectly healthy, but I think sometimes there are reasons why ppl aren't able to conceive and while it is devastating I don't think we should going to every length possible to have children.