Skip to main content

caramel apple pumpkin cranberry

I had a delightful realization a few nights ago--we are halfway through August which means it's very nearly fall! I love fall with all the sights and sounds and yummy foods that are often relegated to this time of year even though I believe it appropriate to enjoy them year round. Pumpkin pie? Definitely year round. Pumpkin spice latte? Oh if only Starbucks would keep it on the menu all 12 months of the year. Of course it's probably better for my purse strings that they do not. As it is I can't even remember the last time I patroned their overpriced establishment.

I digress. I also recently realized that despite my love for all things pumpkin, well sweet pumpkin as I have yet to endeavor into the savory pumpkin world, I have never been to a pumpkin patch. I'm no country girl, but I do fancy things that seem quintessentially Midwestern or small town America: apple orchards, fairs, pumpkin patches, ice skating. The ironic thing is that I've experienced more of those sorts of things living in LA than I ever did growing up in the Midwest.

A couple weeks ago I experienced my first fair. Not being much one for rides or for spending exorbitant amounts of money to ride a ride I don't really want to ride, we just walked around took in the sights, sounds & tastes of the fair. It was fun. We saw adorable bunnies, a cool wood turning demonstration, mediocre acrobats, pretty stellar Taiko drumming, and booths for nearly every imaginable (and unimaginable) fried food.

Now I'm not one who ascribes to the theory that everything tastes better fried, nor that you should even attempt to fry half the things they do, but it is interesting and amusing. And being curious I did have to try a fried pop tart. Yep you read that right, a name brand strawberry toaster pastry, battered and deep fried. Weird? Yes. Wrong? Probably. Against the laws of nature and culinary arts? More than likely. Delicious? Mmm hmm.

Next up, hopefully an apple orchard in September and a pumpkin patch or at least the Pumpkin Festival in October. Assuming of course the Pumpkin Festival doesn't get cancelled by wind again. Pumpkins are heavy! It's not like it was windy enough that they'd start flying through the air and whack someone in the head! Oh well, hopefully we'll have better luck this year.

Hooray for fall!

Comments

Keith said…
Totally fun-times. I liked going to the fair with you, even if we didn't ride the crazy rides. And you know you liked the fried Oreos as well! :)
aziner said…
:) thanks I liked going with you too. haha yeah the fried Oreos were pretty good, but I'm withholding judgment until such time that I can experience their full potential paired with vanilla ice cream.