Skip to main content

Can a turkey jump higher than the Empire State Building?

Yes. A building can't jump at all. haha have I mentioned that I love stupid jokes?


Thanksgiving has snuck up on me this year. I sort of saw it coming & sort of didn't. I mean I always knew it was there, but I didn't really think much about it. This marks Nicole's & my 4th year hosting the holiday so a lot of things nearly plan themselves & those that didn't got ignored for awhile.

Early on I pared down my cooking list as much as possible, having recently realized that it's okay to let someone else make the biscuits even if they're not what I'd make. It's even okay if the cranberry sauce is from a can as no one seems to eat it anyway. It's okay if when I go to Ralph's on Tuesday night, at nearly the last minute, they don't have 2/3rds of the items I need to make pumpkin pie so I buy one premade rather than playing Greater LA Metro area grocery store scavenger hunt. It's okay and probably even good if Martha Stewart would shudder at some of the goings on for our Thanksgiving dinner.

It matters more that we have fun. It matters more that the prep has required minimal effort especially as our friend Merlin has offered to co-host with us and have it at his place so Nicole & I aren't left with any clean-up. And it matters more that my self-worth is in no way wrapped up in being able to put together a great holiday, decorate the house beautifully (there are no fall decorations at Merlin's--gasp! ;) ), or cook a great meal.

I am a child of God, a daughter of the Most High--that's my identity & nothing else gets to shape it. I'm an amazing woman because my God made me so, even if the turkey comes out horribly wrong on Thursday. Of course it is my aim that the turkey tastes great & I'm concocting a new gravy recipe in my head that I'm very excited to put together. But regardless of what happens in 2 days I'll still be me & it'll be okay that I don't always get everything right. I'm pretty happy about that right now.

I'm also pretty happy about the pouring rain, thunder & lightning this evening. All of the sudden LA woke up and realized it was supposed to be fall. And moreso God said, hey I'm still listening, I haven't forgotten you, here's a rare thunderstorm to remind you I'm still up here. That was nice to have tonight. I hope you all have wonderful Thanksgivings! If you find yourself in LA in need of a place to go, head on over to Merlin's, we'd love to have you. :)

Comments

sherry said…
You are oh-so-wise. I could learn a lesson or two from you. It's one thing to enjoy creating and sharing food from scratch, but it's a whole other thing to do it out of fear. Sometimes buying a pie is the little dose of humility we need.

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for you and for our (albeit non-traditional) friendship!
npaetz said…
Have a great Thanksgiving Azina! We will be in your neck of the woods beginning tomorrow but it is a world wind trip!I love love your Daybreak project. I am praying for you!

~Niki
aziner said…
:) Thanks Sherry. God's the wise one, sometimes He just shares lessons with me. They're helpful so I figure I should pass them along. Some things are just better from scratch & if it's a labor of love & the time is available, I'll choose to go for it. But I'm coming to realize that I can't be doing it out of obligation or fear. Plus the ease of stress that store-bought pie brings is sooo worth it! :) I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for you & our friendship too!

Thanks Niki! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving too! I definitely understand about the trip. Hopefully next time. I'll be in town for Christmas, if you guys are down this way at all maybe we can connect that week. Thank you so much for mentioned Daybreak! It really means a lot to me. Thank you for your prayers. :)