Skip to main content

April 10, 2009

If all goes according to plan, on that date I will be sitting at Angel Stadium with my youngest brother watching the Red Sox dominate. :) Last week as I was preparing my cafe schedule from now until the end of the summer, I checked it against the baseball schedule and was delighted to discover that the Red Sox are playing the Angels much earlier this season than in the past few years. I'm so excited!

In other fabulous baseball news, the MLB Network launched the first week of January. That's right, all baseball all the time. Really few other modern marvels are nearly as exciting for me. I've now seen footage from the 1946 and 1956 World Series (game 5 was Yankee pitcher Don Larsen's perfect game, amazing!). I've seen the original incarnation of Red Sox Nation--the Royal Rooters. I've seen a Red Sox Memories special. I would say something silly like, "The MLB Network is the greatest thing since sliced bread," except it obliterates sliced bread.

The Red Sox Memories special was mostly postseason highlights, which explains why it was only half an hour. ;) Ahh I kid, but if you can't laugh at 86 years of failure & blunder then you can't really be a Red Sox fan. Although, truth be told rewatching Yankee Aaron Boone's homerun in the bottom of the 11th during game 7 of the 2003 Yankees v. Red Sox ALCS hurt just as much as it did the first time around, and for a moment I was transported back to my friend John's living room at school in Iowa. Kind of a trip.

At any rate, reliving some of those good postseason moments helped me sort out some of what I'm feeling right now. I've said it before, but I really think God speaks to us in ways we can understand sometimes & for me that's at least semi-frequently through baseball. Sometimes there are those ALCS game 7 moments. The series is tied. The game is tied or maybe you're even down a few runs. The 9th inning is on its way. And all you can do is hope & believe so strongly in the win. That's me. No matter how things are looking for my team, a part of me always believes we're going to win. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't, but I know you can't give up. After all only one year after Boone devastated us with that homerun the tables were completely turned.

Life, like baseball, can always turnaround. Things get better. 86 year "curses" get broken. And cheesy though it may sound, when God's your team manager hope always wins out, maybe not in ways you expect or desire, but God's team never loses. I'm really glad about that.

Comments