Skip to main content

and did you know I'm not as fragile as I thought

I'm a music junkie. I love discovering new tunes, new bands, new covers. My tastes are highly diverse and highly picky though not snobbish or "refined." I just know what I like and skip over what I don't. A band/song/genre that I dislike will grate on me more than nails on a blackboard. I have about a dozen music blogs I check from time to time. I don't really tend to read them much, just go there for the mp3 samples and form my own opinions. Tonight I discovered a song that I totally dig so I thought, why not share some of my favorite music of late?

Maria Taylor - Cartoons and Forever Plans
the aforementioned song and the source of this post's title

Depeche Mode - Wrong
new song

Anberlin - Feel Good Drag
originally off of Never Take Friendship Personal, rerecorded for Surrender and getting a lot of play on KROQ

Greg Laswell - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
great cover

Flo Rida - Right Round
I know, I know. It's fun driving music, though. Don't judge! ;)


Okay let's move to TV. Pretty much same rules apply as to music--highly diverse & picky, things I dislike may cause twitching or irrational violence. Don't say you haven't been warned. Here are my current favs:

Lie to Me
Just caught up with this show on Hulu and LOVE it! I highly recommend checking it out. Very smart & intriguing.

Trust Me
I heart Tom Cavanagh, so I'd probably watch this show anyway but it's fun & creative & witty. (It is witty, right? Can someone back me up? I'm not just too enamored with Tom Cavanagh to make a sound judgment, am I? Eh, either way I'm okay with it.)

House
I continue to be impressed by this show. They're still finding new places to take the story, and they still manage to surprise me.

The Big Bang Theory
Without a doubt the smartest comedy on TV. You get Chuck Lorre of Dharma & Greg fame together with Bill Prady who worked on Gilmore Girls + a dynamic cast and good things happen. Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock! And side note: Kunal Nayyar is even more adorable in person than on the show which certainly doesn't hurt matters.

Dollhouse
Joss Whedon's triumphant return to the small screen. The Joss Whedon effect is somewhat similar to that of Tom Cavanagh--I would give a shot to nearly any project he put together. Dollhouse has taken a few eps to find its legs, but the classic Whedon wit is starting to shine through and the storylines have been fairly solid from the beginning. Plus Tim Minear works on the show & that man is genius.

Of course that's only a sample of the many TV shows I keep up with, but those are undoubtedly the shows I look forward to the most each week.

Comments

Amber said…
I totally agree with your assessment of Big Bang Theory. Easily my favorite show on tv right now.

I saw one ep of Trust Me, and I liked it. The blonde girl was a little annoying, though. It seemed to me like the dialogue wasn't everything it could be, but maybe I've just gotten accustomed to really fast-paced dialogue. Trouble is, I have to record everything I watch, and then I have to find time to watch it...

I haven't even heard of Dollhouse except from you. What channel, what time, what is it about?

I never got into House before, but I'm catching a bunch of reruns on USA, and I'm getting hooked. Unfortunately, this means I'm seeing them all out of whack, so it makes it a little more difficult to put the b-plot together...but ditto earlier sentiment about recording shows. I figure I'll just borrow the dvds from Raj.

I'm so far out of the music scene it's depressing. I manage to catch a song here or there, but that's about it. /sigh/
aziner said…
:) yes Big Bang is great.

The blonde on Trust Me is kind of annoying, but I think she's getting better. And I think the dialogue is getting wittier, and while I like it it's not the BEST dialogue on TV. You should check out Psych, great dialogue on that show. The only reason it didn't make this list is b/c it's not on right now.

Dollhouse is on Friday nights at 8/7 central on FOX. Incidentally tonight's ep is written by Tim Minear; I'm excited to see what he'll bring to the story! It's about these people who have had their personalities & memories wiped and can be encoded with any personality, skills, and set of memories. They become the perfect assassin or date or thief or negotiator or bodyguard posing as a backup singer. After each mission their memory is wiped and they are a blank slate ready to be encoded for the next mission. Of course things don't always go smoothly with the encoding or wiping processes. One of these individuals has gone rogue, killed a bunch of people in the Dollhouse and is on the loose. And there's an FBI agent convinced the Dollhouse exists and is trying to find it and bring it down. I think it's all very intriguing. All the eps are up on Hulu should you want to catch up and magically find time to actually do so. ;)

I got into House in the middle of season 2 or 3. My DVR randomly recorded it instead of the show that was supposed to be on at the time. By the time I realized it wasn't the right show I was hooked. I too have seen most of the episodes out of order, but yeah I would recommend borrowing the dvds. Such a great show.

Music I can definitely help with, at least as far as the random stuff I listen to. I'll put some things together for you.