Skip to main content

"the reality is even better than the rhetoric"

This weekend bring the first Red Sox/Yankees match-up of the season, and I am stoked! The Red Sox are red hot right now and come into this series with a 7 game winning streak. The team has hit a stride. Papi tweaked his mechanics & has started producing. Back-up players are hitting 2 and 3 run homers. Veterans are in the game. A lot of our pitching is golden right now and when it's not, our guys have runs to back them up and a dynamic bullpen. This weekend should be exciting.

Speaking of exciting--at the Sunday game of the Red Sox/Angels series a couple weeks ago I saw the benches (and bullpens) clear for the first time in person. Kind of crazy. Here's a shot with all the players on the field. Not really what's supposed to happen, but made for some cool photos. :)

The homeplate ump called time late, and as a pitcher once you're in motion (as Red Sox pitcher Josh Beckett was) you have to continue or you risk career-ending injury. They are taught to just sail it at that point, which is what happened. Unfortunately it ended up a little close to Abreu's head. I've watched the clip 2 dozen or so times, trying to be objective and really I don't think it was intentional and I don't think there was anything else Beckett could have done. Everyone overreacted and upon review after the fact, Beckett was suspended for 6 games. After an appeal it was reduced to 5, which is still overly harsh.

Beckett will be back to pitch for us on Saturday with Lester picking up Friday and Masterson getting his 2nd start of the season on Sunday. I really think with the way we've been playing we could sweep the Yanks. I don't think it'll be easy necessarily, but I definitely think it's possible. :)

In other news, I should be kickin' it with 30 Seconds to Mars on Sunday! Anyone want to join me?

Comments