Skip to main content

we are the kings and queens of promise

My love for Jared Leto and his band 30 Seconds to Mars has been made fairly well-known here. What I haven't yet shared is how I got to meet Jared Leto...

On September 9, 2009 the band put out a cryptic message on Twitter about previewing new music from their upcoming album "This Is War" which at the time had not yet been released. I was eager to hear new music. The meeting place was at Hollywood & Highland at noon. Luckily, it was close enough to where I used to work that I could check it out on my lunch break.

I arrived there and met up with some other 30 Seconds to Mars street team members and street team leaders I had worked with throughout the summer. I wasn't sure what to expect. We waited for a little while and then a black Cadillac CTS sport sedan drove up. Shannon Leto, Jared's brother and drummer for 30 Seconds to Mars, was driving. That was exciting on its own, but then I looked in the passenger seat, did a double take, and sure enough Jared Leto was in the car as well! The excitement caused me to stop breathing and my heart to skip a beat.

The brothers Leto got out of the car and invited a few of us at a time to sit in Shannon's Cadillac and preview "Kings and Queens," the upcoming first single from "This Is War." When it was my group's turn I sat in the rear passenger side. Shannon started the song & blasted the volume. Jared stood outside of the car right next to my window watching our reactions, drumming on the window, and singing along with his precious new creation. It was magical. After the song was over, both Leto men asked our opinions, thanked us for coming, and hugged each of us.

I was on cloud 9! Not only had I gotten to preview new music from 30 Seconds to Mars, for which I had been waiting for nearly 3 years, but the music I heard was astounding, it included background vocals that I had gotten to be a part of earlier that year, AND I got to meet & hug the one and only Jared Leto and his equally delightful brother Shannon. :)

By the time that happened I already knew I was moving away from LA. Some people told me I shouldn't move away because I'd miss out on opportunities like that. I told them, that was the last opportunity I really needed/wanted out of the city. I had sincerely hoped I would have the chance to meet Jared Leto before leaving LA, and with that complete I was even more ready to move to Texas. :)

Comments