Skip to main content

I want to believe there's meaning here

I often find myself reading before going to bed, whether it's books, blogs, Twitter, or some article that's part of whatever random thread of research I'm following at the moment.  I frequently fall asleep reading.  My Kindle has become a very handy part of this habit as the cover has a pull out light that provides enough light to read in bed and turns itself off when the Kindle has been idle for awhile.  This has pretty much perfected bedtime reading as I am not later awoken in the night by the light.

Last night I was reading Revelations of a Single Woman and I got to the chapter titled "So, Why Aren't You Married?"  Since this question is nearly impossible to answer, I mostly expected wit, wisdom, and anecdotes from this chapter.  What I encountered instead was this.

"You might understand that the world is fallen and often unfair, but that's still not the kind of answer that warms you on a lonely Saturday night.  And if in your heart of hearts you still yearn to be married or have a family, this hard mystery lives, eats, and sleeps with you.

[ . . .]

In retrospect, it was strange what that conversation with Dr. Houston did to and for me.  Somehow, in linking the word 'suffer' to my unintentionally single state, he legitimized something at work in my guts, some pain that I wanted to avoid for very good reasons, like: nothing is more depressing than some old, whiny, lonely spinster; it could be worse (I could be married and wish I weren't); it's not as if there have been no men whatsoever--it has been my choice to say no to a few along the way; and lastly, what would be the point of going there?  To sit around and bellyache?  But in calling it 'suffering,' he was legitimizing a part of me that did ache at sleeping alone every night.  And the simple acknowledgment--having the ache compassionately seen and known by another--did its own quiet, little miracle.  Something in my guts unclenched."

This is the power of sharing our stories because even though I wasn't there and I wasn't a part of that conversation, in having the opportunity to encounter Dr. Houston's insight secondhand I felt something legitimized in me too, something I wasn't entirely aware that I needed.  And I wept.

It was cathartic and freeing.  And I realized that in feeling stuck in a place created by the fallen world, I've gotten stuck in this grief-like process, vacillating between denial, bargaining, and anger (mostly anger) for years.  Just . . . literally . . . years.  But somehow sharing in this experience, this legitimization, has allowed me to mourn and perhaps on some level start to accept that the world is unfair.  Period.  Full stop.

That sort of nebulous non-explanation had been nearly impossible to accept in the past.  I'm the sort of person who believes in pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps and taking the world by storm.  I believe anything is possible, you can accomplish anything, and fair is only what you make it.  But in this the rules are different and as much as I don't want to accept that, there is something freeing in acknowledging the pain that results in being on the wrong side of unfair.

The world isn't how it was meant to be, and we are straying farther and farther away all the time.  I don't like that.  It grieves me.  It grieves my God too.  I know this because Jesus wept.  I got to hear my brother preach on the story of Lazarus once and how Jesus wept because even though he was going to raise Lazarus, this was not how things were supposed to be.  Death was not a part of the original design of creation.  But due to the fall the natural order of things has been upset.

So here I am.  My dreams, my hopes haven't changed, but something inside me has and I get that "unclenched" gut thing.  This is a tough post to write, let alone actually publish.  It feels too vulnerable, but if someone else's experience has helped me, perhaps mine is worth sharing as well.  If this is something you're struggling with, I'm praying for you.  If you'd like me to pray specifically for you, I'd love to, just leave a comment.

"As lonely as you ever feel, you are not alone."  -- Zach Braff

Comments

Courtney said…
I SOOOOOOO 'get' this post. And the unfairness. And the grief.
Wasn't it God who said "it isn't good for man to be alone" (Gen. 2:18)?
I think that even when we are single - maybe ESPECIALLY then - we need to know and remind each other that we aren't alone. Because of Him, of course. And because of each other. And it's our job to help hold each other up and encourage each other. Sometimes I get so caught up in wishing there was "that someone" to do that for me - and then I forget that doesn't negate my duty to do the same for others. I let my singleness foster emotional isolation.
All that to say - thanks for sharing. Encouragement and support has to begin with honesty - and I appreciate the honesty of this post. THANK YOU for writing this! My prayers are with you, as well!
aziner said…
I love you too friend. Thank you for your wonderful words & prayers. You are such a blessing to me.

Courtney, I am fairly certain we are kindred spirits. I have wrestled with God for a long time over Genesis 2:18. Trying to move past the anger and frustration with that, I am left with having to accept that we live in a broken world, but refusing to be destroyed by that--something I'm still figuring out.

"I let my singleness foster emotional isolation." I'm so right there with you. Let's make it a goal to end that and to make sure we're doing our jobs as encouragers.

Thank you for reading, sharing your insight, and praying. I will definitely be praying for you.
Unknown said…
I would love for a prayer of help to come my way
aziner said…
Unknown, I'm sorry I didn't see your comment sooner, but you have my prayers. God bless.
Anonymous said…
Wasn't even searching for this but happened upon it today, in my sad and single state. To feel that we are not alone in our suffering is such a powerful gift. You wrote this back in 2012, curious where you are now. I hope your dreams are playing out in whatever unfair yet beautiful way, and that you're more certain every day that God is guiding you and blessing your path.
aziner said…
Anonymous, my apologies for my delayed reply. My comment notifications got thrown into my junk email since Google thinks it knows how to run my life. 🙄

Thank you for your comment. I am more certain everyday about where God is leading me. One of my friends calls that Jesus confidence. It is a blessed thing. I am filled with joy and hope. God has blessed me with some amazing girls in the high school small group that I lead, and in the ways that He has called me to walk with them and help them He has graciously redeemed so many of my experiences.

I still hope for marriage. I hope that God will give me the opportunity to show my students what a God-honoring relationship looks like every step of the way--something I understand so much more today than I did 5 years ago. But even if not I pray that He allows me to continue to walk alongside my girls cheerleading them, speaking truth into their lives, and encouraging them as they follow His paths for their lives. I hope that will mean being involved in their lives as they meet their future spouses, helping plan weddings, and/or crying with joy as they say their vows.

If you are a Christ follower I encourage you to seek Him wholeheartedly. If you aren't, honestly my encouragement is the same. He is the only source of true hope. He brings joy into this broken world. I'll be praying for you. I've been reading some awesome books lately that have been a huge help. Let me know if you want any recommendations. God bless you.