Skip to main content

lie to me, I promise I'll believe

This week has been draining for me, as often happens when things don't go how you hoped/planned/imagined/expected.  I was met with sleeplessness, topsy turvy emotions, and most of all questions.  How?  Why?  What now?  Ultimately these questions are about seeking what is true and what is right, which has left me also pondering lies.

What lies are you willing to buy?  Of course my initial reaction is that I don't intend or want to buy any lies.  The more thought I've put into it though, the more I realize that I am willing to accept a lot of things that I know to be wrong.  And really isn't accepting what you know to be wrong or untrue the same as buying into the lies?  When we decide to acquiesce, we've given up fighting for truth.  We've given up taking a stand for what is right.

What's more, by accepting lies we may be inadvertently telling others that it's okay to buy into the lie as well. What happens to the world when we discard the truth for lies that are more comfortable?

"A long habit of not thinking a thing WRONG gives it a superficial appearance of being RIGHT." - Introduction to Common Sense by Thomas Paine

Television and movies are perhaps the easiest things to point to for examples.  What have I been willing to accept in the name of entertainment that paints lies about the world?  Do I watch anything that misrepresents how the world is supposed to be?  Do I watch anything that glorifies sin?  I'm ashamed to admit that the answer is yes, and I'm starting to realize that by accepting these things I'm not only telling others that I think it's okay, but I'm also giving Hollywood my stamp of approval, either by spending money on movies or by aiding in the acquisition of advertiser dollars by participating as a viewer.

I'm not writing this as a condemnation of anyone, but rather as a challenge.  If you're a Christian, are you justifying entertainment choices (or other life choices) that are contrary to what you know to be true and right?  Do you turn a blind eye to promiscuity or premarital sex in the name of comedy?  Are you willing to perpetuate the lie that sin is acceptable in exchange for a few laughs, in exchange for being "relevant" or "cool?"

After the events of this week, some are left believing we need a revolution, I wholeheartedly agree.  But the kind of revolution we need right now is not one of rifles and regiments, but one of renewal starting in our own hearts and homes.  We simply cannot expect better from others, we cannot expect to be purveyors of truth, we cannot expect to be representatives of God, if we continue to purchase willingly that which we know to be lies.

Suddenly, instead of just thinking others shouldn't be so weak, I'm starting to have a whole new understanding and appreciation for these verses:

"Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak." - 1 Corinthians 8:9

"Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another.  Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in the way of a brother or sister." - Romans 14:13

Again I write these things not in judgment, but in order to challenge.  You may not feel the need to make changes in your life, but I know I certainly do.  Even just over the last week I've found my entertainment choices tending more toward the Hallmark Channel than anything else.  I still appreciate entertainment, but my ability to accept it at the expense of righteousness is waning.  Give me a cheesy, romantic, Christmas movie on the Hallmark Channel these days and I am delighted.  :)

Comments

This sounds a lot like Romans 2 where Paul chastizes the Jews for thinking they were better just for their heritage and supposed righteous acts. Don't we do that? "at least I'm not like them" and we feel better. Yet we all fall short (Romans 3:23). Thank you for your challenge- while I mostly just watch the food network, I know not everything I watch bears up under the scrutiny of what I proclaim to believe. You are, as have said before, a wise lady!
aziner said…
I love your insight here with Romans 2. That's exactly the struggle I was having this week, why do people so easily buy into the lies? And then I realized, I do the same thing, just with different lies.

Thank you, I am truly humbled.