Skip to main content

life and liberty: part 1

Like the rest of America, I was shocked and heartbroken by the events in Newtown, CT this past Friday.  The loss of such young children in such a horrific way is unfathomable.  The president addressed the nation on Friday afternoon and I did not watch, but I heard reports of people either being moved by his tears or offended that he faked crying.  Whether he was moved as a father, or faking good leadership doesn't really matter.  I have been left with the question of why these children matter more to Barack Obama than children born alive after a failed abortion.  (He voted against the Born Alive Infant Protection Act as a state senator in IL.)  Why do these children matter more than babies in their mother's wombs, at any point during their gestation?

Others have drawn the similarity between abortion and the tragedy in Newtown, and some have been outraged by it.  How could anyone draw such a comparison?  It's simple, either you believe the lives of all children matter, or you don't.  And if you don't, at what age does a child start to matter?

Yes, we need to re-examine the status quo in America, but not in relation to guns, in relation to the sanctity of life.  If we perpetuate the idea that maybe all life isn't valuable, how can we possibly be outraged when someone agrees?

The following quotes are from Abby Johnson's Facebook page.  Abby is a former Planned Parenthood clinic director who became pro-life after being "asked to assist with an ultrasound-guided abortion.  She watched in horror as a 13 week baby fought, and ultimately lost, its life at the hand of the abortionist."

I watched a child fight for his life in his mother's womb. I watched him curl up his body in an attempt to protect himself from the abortion instrument. I watched him attempt to move away and try to get find a safe place. Then I watched his body twist and turn like you would ring out a dishcloth. I watched his arms and legs detach from his body. I watched as his perfectly formed backbone crumbled underneath the powerful suction.

How can I compare the shootings in Connecticut with abortion? Because just like these children who were killed violently in their school, thousands of children are killed violently in their mother's wombs. These unborn children are frantically trying to save their lives before they are killed. There is no difference...except for the number that are killed EVERY DAY.

20 children are killed and it is called a massacre. 1.2 million children are killed in a year and it is called a "medical procedure" and labeled as "choice."

Yes, what I am saying may not be comfortable. But the tragedy of abortion is very real to me. I have seen the terror of the unborn. It is time for us to stop being so uncomfortable with the truth and start shouting it from the rooftops.


* * *

I pray that when my children are grown, they will not have to fight the battle of abortion. I pray that their generation will look at abortion as we look at slavery...as a grievous sin...something that took place long ago. But for now, we fight...I fight for my children, so that they will live in a culture of life.


I hear a lot of discussion about what the civil rights issue of our day is.  Make no mistake, it is this: the right of the defenseless, the voiceless, the citizens who are given no consideration until some point after their births (and even for some "born alive" not even then).  I join Abby in her prayer, may the next generation live in a culture of life and not in a culture that views life as a choice or a matter of convenience.  How can we possibly be outraged at a madman for violently murdering 20 children when sitting idly by as 3000-4000 children are violently murdered every day?  We should be outraged by both.

Comments

I could not agree more. I think the explanation is simple. Satan's greatest tool in my opinion is deception and our society has worked so hard at fashioning our morals after what is convenient to us that we actually either become numb to evil or just don't recognize it anymore.
aziner said…
You're absolutely right about that.