Skip to main content

life cycle of a jar of coconut oil


Step 1: Purchase delicious and nutritious coconut oil from Trader Joe's.

Step 2: Consume the entire contents of the jar--probably not all at once.  I recommend making scrambled eggs, eggs over easy, roasting vegetables, and making pie crust.  Coconut oil is a fantastic 1:1 replacement for shortening, just make sure to refrigerate the coconut oil long enough for it to solidify.  You can also put a tablespoon of coconut oil in your morning tea or coffee for an energy and brain boost.  I know it sounds weird, but just try it.  It'll make your lips nice & soft too.  My sister and I also discovered on Sunday that you can apply a generous amount of coconut oil to corn tortillas to make them pliable enough for homemade taquitos.  The taquitos were delicious, not greasy, and did not taste coconutty.

Step 3: Once you've used every bit of coconut oil you possibly can, soak the jar in hot water for about an hour.  The hot water and any remaining bits of coconut oil will help soften the label so it can be scraped off.  Out of 4 jars, I did have one that I could peel most of the label off, but the rest had to be scraped.  You can also wipe off the best by date with the water/coconut oil mixture.

Step 4: Wash.  I originally planned to just run them through the dishwasher, but then I didn't want to wait that long so I washed them by hand.  Either way should work well, so do whatever floats your boat.

Step 5: Use jars for decorative purposes.  Currently they are being utilized for Valentine's decor.


You may notice that only one of the tea lights is lit.  I couldn't get the others to light; it seems the fire stick is not particularly amenable to being turned upside down.  While I prefer real candles, I will likely need to break out the LED tea lights for this particular project.

I hope you enjoy your coconut oil--the stuff is simply magical* for internal and external use.  Happy Valentine's Day!


*This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA.

Comments

I love that stuff!
aziner said…
It's so great! What are some of your favorite uses for it?