Skip to main content

wait a minute mister postman

I believe in love letters and birthday cards and notes just because.  I believe that there are few things more thoughtful, more personal, more caring than a handwritten letter, note, or card.  I believe in snail mail.  I have been horrible about putting this belief into practice over the last several years, and I am working to rectify that now.

Awhile back I bought supplies for an address book.  To most people this would mean a little book labeled "Addresses" with alphabetized sections and lines on which to write friends' and family's information.  Being me, I had to do things my own way.  After a significant amount of contemplation, I decided the supplies I needed for an address book were a 3-ring binder, photo binder pages, 3x5 index cards, sheet protectors, and Sharpie pens.

I am not a paid spokesperson for Office Depot.

 I have been a long-time Sharpie fan, and I was ecstatic when they came out with pens a few years ago.  The pens do not disappoint.  I keep my colored Sharpie pens in my Superman mug.

No one at Sharpie or DC Comics is paying me either, but I'm open to discussing it. 
With all the supplies in hand, it's basically just a matter of compiling addresses and birthdays at this point.  I decided to organize my address book by birthdays rather than alphabetically so I can keep a better eye on what's coming up next.  This is a work in progress, so if I've missed your birthday, I'm sorry and I'm working on it!  When the powers of Sharpie pens, index cards, and photo binder pages combine, the end result looks like this.



It's weird that several of my friends have the same address and birthday, right?  Juuust kidding.  Obviously these are fake names and addresses, but I wasn't just going to post info of real friends for strangers on the internet to find.  Props if you know where the fake names come from, but also you should probably be a little afraid if there is that much similarity between your brain and my brain.  :P

In between each sheet of address pages are sheet protectors in which I can stick cards for upcoming birthdays or holidays for someone on the preceding address page.  I don't have a picture of that because I don't want to spoil any surprises for anyone.  :)  I'm really happy with how this project is turning out, and I'm excited to once again communicate with friends and family in this manner.  Hazaa for snail mail!

Comments

raj said…
Yes, Varjack Paul! I feel like I should know some of the others, and a couple do ring vague bells, but I've got nothin.
aziner said…
I actually thought you might be able to get them all. Two of the remaining names are from the same show, a show you watch that is currently on the air, more or less. The other name is taken from a show you've seen all of and is no longer on the air, save for reruns.
raj said…
Definitely Psych for two of these. I don't know what I was thinking in February.

Super Cool Party Person sounds so familiar, and I'll kick myself when you tell me. Not literally. I'm not that flexible anymore.