Skip to main content

Azina vs. The Insect Kingdom

Me about 11:50pm this evening: Lalala, I'm just going to go take the sheets out of the dryer and dry the next load.

*Open dryer.  See cockroach inside.*

Ahhhh!

Being nearly midnight at the time, my "Ahhhh!" was whispered.  I ran back to my room to regroup, leaving the dryer open and only briefly considering how much worse it would be if the cockroach relocated.

Several minutes later I put on some shoes, regrouped, and went back to face my foe.  The nasty creature was still in the same place.  I won't go into details, but I was victorious.  It helped rather significantly that the cockroach was already dead.  Dry roasted, as it were.  Perhaps a delicacy to some.  *Heebie jeebies.*

Is tilting at cockroaches character building?  I think it might be.  Though, I wouldn't be sad if I had a husband around who wouldn't be mad that I woke him up at midnight to vanquish a bug.  Do men like that exist?

I'm kidding.

Mostly.

Prior to this incident, I was feeling pretty good about the ongoing saga of me vs. the insect world today too.  You see, I recently learned that heat denatures the protein in mosquito venom that causes the itchiness.  Seemed plausible, but how could I possibly be 32, a constant victim of mosquito bites, and not know such a simple remedy?  I mean mosquitoes and I are sworn enemies.  And by that I mean they love me and I hate them.  I don't even have to go outside to get bitten.  If one of those pests sneaks indoors, they seek me out & wreak their itchy, puffy, swollen, welty havoc.

As it turns out it totally works!  What I had originally read was to take a hot bath, which I haven't done but I did run very hot water over one mosquito bite for as long as I could stand it and on another I held a hot rice bag on the bite until the itchiness & swelling were gone.  I'm pleased to report that the rice bag method was more effective, and obviously easier than a bath or running the bite under hot water.  I can't even explain how excited I am, but you can ask my sister and my friends to whom I showed my non-itchy, non-puffy, non-swollen, non-welty arm.  :)

Now I'm off to finish the laundry.  Wish me luck.

Comments