Skip to main content

Through a Glass, Darkly

On Sundays, I tend to do my Bible reading before bed.  Sunday mornings prove to come to quickly and too early for me to manage it then.  Tonight as I headed for bed, I saw my Bible sitting there and I didn't want to pick it up.  I just wanted to watch some tv and fall asleep.  I didn't want to read and then pray the same prayer about what God has in store for friends and for me in terms of marriage.  What if no answer is the answer, right?

I picked up my Bible anyway.  Thanks for the nudge, Holy Spirit.  I turned to 1 Corinthians where I've been reading, and found where I left off.  Oh good, a short chapter, I thought with my still bad attitude.  Then I realized what chapter it was, 1 Corinthians 13.  The love chapter.  The chapter that you've probably heard at weddings, "Love is patient, love is kind . . ."

It was like simultaneously Jesus was saying, I see you and I love you, and the Holy Spirit was saying, don't be a brat!  Hallelujah and ouch!  To which the only proper response is a few tears.  I don't necessarily take this to mean that I'll be hearing all the wedding bells I hope to hear in the near future.  If it does, don't judge me if I wear the same dress to multiple weddings, I'm praying for a lot of you.  This could get expensive!

What it does mean is that God knows how to speak to my heart.  He knows my fears, my frustrations, my joy, my hope, and He takes the time to meet me there.  Even and especially when in my human frailty I barely make the effort.  He doesn't give up on me.

I share this story for the sole purpose of God's glory.  Wherever you are tonight, whatever you're feeling, God is there.  Rejoice with Him, cry with Him, laugh with Him.  Just allow Him to meet you where you are.  He has so much more in store even if the answers aren't yet clear.

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then I shall know even as also I am known."  1 Corinthians 13:12 (KJV)

Comments

Unknown said…
It's beautiful how He speaks to each of us so personally and profoundly. Thanks for sharing this.. It's encouraging. And I'll keep you in my prayers. :)
aziner said…
Amen! Thank you, sweet friend. :)