Skip to main content

May Day!

We have a habit of single-handedly bringing back awesome things to the public sphere in my family.  If you've enjoyed a box of Cap'n Crunch's Christmas Crunch in the past 10 years, you're welcome.  I'm certain our scouring of grocery stores and the interwebs and our hoarding of this sweet seasonal treat has everything to do with the relative ease with which it can now be located during Christmastime.

Fun fact: one year, prior to the resurgence we ushered in, I found Christmas Crunch at the Ralph's near my first apartment in Los Angeles, so I stocked up on it, filled my carry on, and brought it to our family Christmas celebration in Texas.  Just in case you didn't believe me, we are serious about this.

Another thing I'm serious about?  The most whimsical and delightful holiday that most people know nothing about: May Day!  You've maybe heard of May Poles, or if you're a Gilmore Girls fan even a "maybe not pole!"  Thank you, Kirk.  But I'm guessing, unless you grew up in the Midwest or have been initiated by my family, you've never celebrated May Day.  Sad face.  Don't worry, I'm here to help!

Growing up May Day celebrations with my siblings consisted of assembling May Day "baskets" aka styrofoam cups filled with popcorn and jelly beans, dropping them off at the doorsteps of our neighborhood friends, ringing the doorbell, running away, and hiding.  After opening the door and finding these May Day treats our friends would chase after us.  It was so simple and fun.


May Day 2015: We've gotten a little fancier than styrofoam cups, but the popcorn and jelly beans remain.

The exact origins of May Day aren't clear, but it likely evolved from a variety of spring festivals and celebrations.  Singing, dancing, treats, and flowers would have been involved, what's not to like?  May Day baskets traditionally would have been filled with flowers/candies/pastries, and would have been left on the doorstep of the person you liked.  The running and hiding would have ended with a kiss in the event of a successful hunt by the recipient.  It's fun, and sweet, and lovely.  And we're bringing it back.  So head to your favorite grocery store, pick up some cups, some popcorn, and some jelly beans and join us in reviving yet another awesome tradition.

Comments