Skip to main content

Remember when the righteous rose from indifference

I didn't know much about human trafficking until 2 years ago.  I had friends who were passionate about fighting it who would post on Facebook, but it took too long until I started paying attention.

In 2014 Remedy Drive released an album of "songs of freedom to shine a light on the trafficking of human souls."  That album is called Commodity.

On Commodity is a song called "Under the Starlight."  The title of this post comes from that song, and so do these lyrics:

What's this I see it's just a race for property
My God no, this is not the way it ought to be
We'll take back, daughters from the heartless
Maybe we can tear a little corner off the darkness

Here is the full song.

I don't post this to judge anyone who is still in a place of indifference like I used to be.  I only post to share that once I started paying attention, I couldn't go back to ignoring the darkness.

There are more slaves today than at any point in human history.  That's more men, women, boys, and girls forced into labor, servitude, and the sex trade than ever before.  More people are without freedom today than when the Israelites were slaves in Egypt.  More people are without freedom today than when slavery was still legal in America (and other nations).

This month I'm participating in Dressember to bring awareness to human trafficking and raise funds for two amazing organizations that provide rescue and rehabilitation to survivors, International Justice Mission and A21.  I hope you'll consider joining me by praying, participating, and/or donating here.

But guess what?  If you don't feel drawn to donate to Dressember, that's okay.  There are so many organizations fighting to "tear a little corner off the darkness."  I hope you'll look into some.  Let's all become abolitionists and see an end to the scourge of slavery in our lifetimes.

Comments