Skip to main content

Because a kitchen sink to you is not a kitchen sink to me

Okay, friend
Are you searching for purpose
Then write something yeah it might be worthless
Then paint something and it might be wordless
Twenty One Pilots "Kitchen Sink"

Absolutely love this song by one of my favorite bands.  It's not available for purchase, but you should look it up on YouTube.

I'll wait . . .

You know what, it's so good just go ahead & put it on repeat & then come back here.

You're welcome.

As a writer & a painter I really dig the lines above.

You know what the most important thing a writer can do?  Write.

You know the most important thing a painter can do?  Paint.

Notice I didn't say write the most amazing novel the world has ever seen, or paint the greatest masterpiece of all time.  Simply write or simply paint.  One of the best pieces of writing advice I ever received was to write everyday & don't expect that everything you put on paper is going to be worth keeping.

The same can be applied to every creative endeavor.  Not everything you create is going to be worth anything.  But guess what, your value doesn't decrease.  You are still worthy to keep creating.  And as you do, you will start to hone your skill, your craft, your voice, your style.

You were put on this Earth on purpose.  You have a voice.  You have a reason for being here.  Find it, live it out, and share it.

That brings me to another goal I've set for myself.  First was write more.  Can you guess the second?  Paint more.  See how it all ties together?  ;)  Now, I manage a paint studio so I do have the opportunity to paint on a fairly regular basis, but what I'm not good at doing is painting for me.

I have a painting wishlist.  It's like a to-do list, but wishlist sounds so much more fun.  :)  I only ever seem to add to my wishlist without every actually checking things off, so here's one of my specific goals for painting.  I have a set of paintings I would like to do that tie in with Dressember.  I will have 3 paintings in that set done by the time Dressember starts on December 1st.  They will be for sale, and if any of them sell all the money will be donated to my Dressember campaign to fight human trafficking.

I'll post painting updates occasionally.  If you have any questions about Dressember, or if you'd to join my team, let me know!

Comments