Skip to main content

Feed the white wolf

Have you heard the tale of the two wolves?  One wolf represents hope, one despair.  One good, one evil.  One light, one dark.  Look it up if you haven't, there's a few different versions from various sources, but the outcome is always the same.  The wolf that wins is the wolf you feed.

I love this tale.  And while I fully champion feeding the white wolf, it's not quite that simple is it?

The wolf of despair is satisfied with scraps.  He will devour any bit of crumb that you drop in his general direction.  And even if the wolf of hope keeps him somewhat in check, the wolf of despair shows up in ruts, in doldrums, in drudgery.  The wolf of despair is satisfied with stagnation.

The wolf of hope on the other hand, she is bright and shiny and she requires more care to thrive.  She isn't satisfied with scraps.  Her brightness is easily dulled if she isn't tended to.  She can be hard to see in the ruts.  She demands daily attention and isn't content to lurk in the shadows.  She wants a hearty meal, strolls in the sunlight, and kempt fur.

It's easier to feed the wolf of despair . . . at first.  It's easier until you look back on everything that you've wasted on a wolf whose hunger will never be satisfied--the years, the tears, the hurt, the frustration, the anger, the misguided choices, etc.

The wolf of hope requires more care, but she can be satisfied.  She can be satisfied in dreams fulfilled, hopes attained, goals achieved, and most importantly in a peace that passes understanding when dreams, hopes, goals don't go as planned.  And then she'll ask you to hope again, to dream bigger, to make more goals.

I'm not good at making goals.  Never really saw the point honestly.  If I'm just supposed to follow where God is leading then what's there to strive for other than that?  As it turns out, that's not a very hopeful place to live.  That's a place of resignation.  Not because God isn't good or loving, but because He created us to hope and to dream, and failing to do so ignores an important part of who we're meant to be.

He wants me to dream.  He wants me to chase after things.  And He wants that for you too.  Sure, He's a prankster and He has every intention of redirecting your path, but He wants you moving forward, chasing, hoping, and dreaming bigger with every redirection.

So here I am.  I'm setting goals.  I'm working toward things.  I'm being more intentional.  It starts here because one of my goals is to write regularly.  My last post was 8 months ago today.  My next post will be within the week.  This is the easiest goal to share because it is completely within my power to attain.  Other goals are partially or even completely out of my control.  I might fail at those.  I might fail at some I have complete control over.  Even so, it's exciting to put things in writing and to dream big.  Sure, it's also a little scary, but I'm making serious effort to tend to the white wolf.  Fear, doubt, despair have no say here.

Romans 15:13 (NLT) - I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him.  Then you will overflow with the confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.

Comments