Skip to main content

a thrill of hope

Why do I believe in impossible things?  Because snow in Texas.  Because the Red Sox won the 2004 ALCS (and WS).  Because without fail the expectant yet weary hope of advent yields the birth of the Savior.

I stood outside waiting for it to snow tonight.  From the first moment anyone dared mention the possibility of snow in the forecast, if all of the the variables lined up perfectly of course, my hopes skyrocketed.  I was certain it had to happen.  In a year of freak weather events, certainly snow had to be among them.

I gasped as the snow started in earnest.  No matter how many times I see snow, it's always magical.  But it's especially wonderful in Texas where it "doesn't snow."  I had to hold back happy tears so they wouldn't freeze on my face.  But I delighted in this gift.  Thank you, Jesus.

At youth group last night we talked about something in our lives that feels impossible or unimaginable.  As I sit here wrapped in so many pajama layers, a down comforter, and a fleece pineapple throw trying to warm back up after enjoying the snow I have to admit that my hopes for those impossible things have become more confident.

the weary world rejoices

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beautifully said!
aziner said…
Thank you!