Skip to main content

where troubles melt like lemon drops . . .

somewhere over the rainbow
he played on acoustic guitar
laughter
waves crashing on the shore
eroding away grains of sadness
replaced by chocolate covered memories
and the promise of hope
spring will arrive soon
joy
blissfully foolish optimism
the haze is gone
I can see beyond the immediate
the pain is washing out to sea
I can think of you again
even in the distance
and smile just because I know you


So, I wrote that last night when I was in a really happy mood as I had a great time hanging out with my roomie and her friend. Today was less happy, but I still wanted to post this. The haze thing is literal, it was remarkably hazy here last week, but today I could see the mountains even. For those of you who don't know, you can live in Los Angeles for almost a year and not realize that you should be able to see mountains here. That sounds quite sad, I realize, and to some extent it is. But the marvelous thing is that you really truly appreciate their splendor on the days you can see them. It's a delightful little greeting from God's horizon. You never know when it will be there or when it will come again. The last time I saw it was the day I lost my job in January. Through my tears and the soft pink of the sky giving way to evening I saw the beautiful snow capped peaks (for the first time). Funny how I always see the mountains on difficult days . . .

Even though today was frustrating, I'm finally starting to feel like myself again. That feels really good. I feel like the girl who smiles when she sees a butterfly. And delights in the wonder of the ocean. The girl who can look up at the beautiful art on her wall and feel mostly joy when she thinks of the wonderful friend who drew it for her instead of dwelling on how much she misses him. And the girl who believes that things really will work out. I like being that girl. And maybe I'm a little crazy to be so hopeful, goodness knows how painful that can be, but if I don't have hope I don't have anything. Plus, if you notice a lot of "crazy" people seem pretty happy. I think I can live with that. (Crazy serial killer stalker type persons notwithstanding.)

Comments