Skip to main content

the wedding cake goes home with his cousin Spike

It's not that I haven't thought about posting or wanted to post in the last few days, it's just every time I've sat down to write something the blank screen just stares back at me instead of jumping to life as usual.

Since I still can't really think of anything to say I thought I would share a story with you.

So I'm about 4 or 5 years old. There is a Peanuts special on. Cartoons airing on a weeknight are like getting free cookies at the grocery store. This one is titled "Snoopy's Getting Married, Charlie Brown." Amber, Raj, and I watch the show downstairs in the family room while mom is doing mom stuff upstairs. The half hour passes and we all return up the stairs. Only there's a problem. I'm bawling. "What did you do to her?" Mom inquires of my siblings. "Nothing," they try to convince her. So she asks me, "What's wrong?" To which I reply in my sad crying child voice, "They didn't get married!" Yes kids that's right. In the "Snoopy's Getting Married, Charlie Brown" special Snoopy does not get married. It's a tragedy.

So there you have it, a classic anecdote from my childhood. There are plenty more where that came from. Perhaps I will pull them out from time to time when I don't know what else to post.

Comments

Amber said…
Definitely one of the stranger Peanuts specials. I'm sorry that I don't remember it being so traumatic for you, though. I do remember that we didn't watch it very often on tape. I also vividly remember Spike going home to his cactus to eat the cake - and I was saddest about Spike being all alone in the desert.
aziner said…
The part with Spike going home is quite sad. That's really the only part of the cartoon I can picture, Spike looking dejected, in his brown hat, walking home alone, to the desert, with the wedding cake. It's all around a depressing cartoon. Whoever came up with that plan is so fired.
Ashlee Liddell said…
I so wish I had seen this cartoon as a child because then I would most certainly blame my fear of relationships upon the tragic events that unfolded at this wedding...Thanks for stopping by my blog...I think I am cool now!
Amber said…
Doesn't Snoopy get left at the altar or something? I don't even clearly remember the rest of the cartoon - I do remember that Spike gets the invitation in the mail and packs up to go. But that part with Spike at the end is so memorable. I think firing is definitely called for. (But I don't think the cartoon can be an excuse!) :)
aziner said…
Thanks Ashlee! Though while my presence on your blog certainly doesn't harm your cool factor, I'm pretty sure you were cool before that anyway. :)

To be honest I don't remember the cartoon all that well. I just know that Snoopy didn't get married and Spike went home with the cake. And I remember being very upset about the whole thing. Was Snoopy's fiancee a poodle? For some reason I think maybe.