Skip to main content

rules of engagement

It has been quite some time since I've written about relationships, though much has been brewing in my mind the past several weeks. I feel compelled to hit upon 2 subjects related to this matter:
1. dating rules
2. the "friend zone" (which yes falls under the purview of rules, but is such a large topic it deserves it's own point.)

I recently heard a friend say, "I'm breaking all my rules in dating this girl, but it's going so well." Now don't misread that, he wasn't talking about compromising his morals or integrity. All he was doing was going against all the silly dating guidelines he had built up for himself.
Examples: (not specific to this friend)
1. don't date a friend
2. don't date someone from work
3. don't date someone younger
4. don't date someone who a friend used to have a crush on
5. don't date someone who doesn't like the same kind of movies/music/television as you

Okay wait, we might have something substantial with that 5th one there. But the other 4 may or may not be completely ridiculous. I get that people put these kinds of rules in place to protect themselves. And I see how there is some wisdom in some of them; dating someone from work could have horrible repercussions if it ends badly. But I don't think any of these rules should be hard and fast. Unless of course the person has poor taste in music, don't even pretend like you can put up with that for the long term. (I'm not really sure if I'm joking about that or not.)

I could ramble on and on about all of this saying how people should just take a risk, you might find something really meaningful if you weren't so busy trying to keep yourself from getting hurt. But after it all I only really have one thing to ask, are your rules working?

Oh it must also be said that the "don't date someone younger" rule is perfectly acceptable in regards to say 12 year olds, but a few years difference is not a big deal generally. Though really it would help if every 24 year old guy I know wasn't dating younger girls and every 27 year old guy wasn't dating girls their own age. You're leaving a huge gap for us 24 year old girls and we'd really appreciate it if you'd cut it out. :P

Point #2. The Friend Zone.
Again I realize that this is a point of protection for people, but honestly I think it's a lot of hooey. I recently had a friend say that once he's been friend with a girl for 6 weeks, if he hasn't made a move, it's never going to happen. Aside from the fact that this so unfairly puts the ball entirely in the guy's court, it leaves me wondering how on earth you know in 6 weeks from meeting a girl that she is or is not someone you'd like to date? In that amount of time you probably see each other 6-12 times maximum. Even if you see each other the estimated maximum of 12 times, I fail to see how that can possibly give you an accurate idea of whether or not you'd want to date this person. After hanging out with a guy a dozen times I can tell you only about 2 things: 1. his hair color, 2. if he's fun to hang out with. I don't know maybe that's enough for some people to start a dating relationship on. For me, I'd like something a little deeper, something I don't think you can really put a time line on.

I think what gets to me most about this whole Friend Zone thing is that I really don't understand how you can know a member of the opposite sex, get along with them, enjoy spending time with them, count on them, have similar interests, etc. and say to yourself man I wish I could find a girl with whom I got along, enjoyed spending time, could count on, share similar interests, etc. What is it that makes you relegate this person to a dateless void?

The other trouble with all of this is that most girls I know want to be really good friends with the guy they end up marrying. I realize that through a dating relationship friendship can also be built up, but I don't know I kinda think that if there isn't some basis there to begin with it's going to be hard to build on.

So now you may be thinking to yourself, wow she's being really unfair to guys. Surely she's stuck guys in the Friend Zone before. Honestly I don't think I have. (If any guys out there reading this disagree, please speak up.) I've never used the, "but we're such good friends" line on anyone. Nor do I intend to. I think it's almost always worth risking the friendship to pursue something better.

At the end of the day, I find myself beginning 2007 about to turn 25, still single and not having it look like that's gonna change any time soon. And I don't really like that.

Just for the record I do understand that for someone who has so many rules regarding proposals it's ironic that I'm opposed to dating rules, but it really comes down to romance vs. ridiculous and I think we all know that I'm pro-romance and anti-ridiculous, so it's really not all that strange. Plus I'm a girl, it's my prerogative not to make any sense. ;)

Comments

Shanelle said…
I know this is going to make me sound totally shallow and not christ like... but if I don't want to make out with them, no matter how awesome they are, I don't want to date them. I need chemistry... I totally have friends that are super awesome, I love hanging out wiht them, but the thought of kissing them is icky.... so
I guess my final answer would be chemistry.
aziner said…
Maybe I'm crazy or naive, but I've always thought the physical stuff falls into place with the right level of trust, respect, intimacy, etc. in a relationship. I guess it depends on what you value most in a relationship. The physical is important, don't get me wrong. But there has to be so much more than that. As far as chemistry goes, I don't put that much stock in it. When it comes down to a relationship making it or not and getting through the tough times, if anyone is depending on chemistry to help them get through, they're pretty much screwed. I'd rather have a strong friendship basis & be with someone who I know is pulling for me no matter what, not someone who wanted to be with me in the first place based more on kissing than a strong bond.
Shanelle said…
Eh... Honestly, it isn't so much about the whole they only want me for kissing me thing. To me, I can trust and love someone, and just not want to be with them... physical attraction is important to me. The orginal question posed by the post is "why wouldn't you date someone who you think is awesome and cool" well probably because I am not attracted to them. It isn't a hard and fast rule for me, and you can grow into attraction for someone... it happens all the time, but If I am like meh, they are just my friend... who I love and think is super super awesome... odds are I do love them and think they are super super awesome, I just don't want to be with them... I don't want to cuddle up on the couch and watch a movie, etc. That is why every friendship doesn't turn to romance. Of course, I typically don't spend a ton of one on one time with boys or really invest alot of deep friendship intimacy time together one on one, because I either, a) start miss construing there feelings for me... or b) develop an odd relationship with boy who isn't I know isn't right for me, and whose GF I am not, but who I am using to fulfill all these relational needs. I call this boyfriend not boyfriending, I.E. the person you hang out with tons with one on one, share all this intimacy in, but when it comes down to it you have no say in there lives... it takes time away from the boys that actually dig me...

Uh, I have no idea if any of that made sense... but good blog
Tmproff said…
Only one comment here....I think it's great to just go out with someone BEFORE you make the choice if they are the "Right" person to date. First impressions can be WAAY off.

Guys, just step up and have the guts to ask someone nice out.

Girls, say yes even if he's a little fugly, or scared of "insert scenario here".

Dating is just that....dating..it's not endgagement, it's not marriage....Yes, use common scence and not go out with an axe murderer, but other than that...TAKE A CHANCE!
aziner said…
Shanelle, I agree with you about deep friendships with guys. It only leads me to trouble.

Troy, wow it's been awhile. I like what you said. One question, though, are you following your own advice?