Skip to main content

on reading

In my hopes for this year I mentioned that I wanted to read more books, at least 6 this year. Despite a few pallid attempts, I have not done so well with that goal. Truth be told with the year about 70% over I have not done so well with many of the goals. I have not forgotten them and I do not think goals are bound by calendar years so I will be okay to still aim for them even as the days of '08 wane.

In the past few weeks I have taken up reading again though. Spiritual works are my preference of the moment as I try to press more fully into God and allow him to carry me through.

Here is my reading list as it stands:
1. To Own a Dragon - Donald Miller (completed)
This book is written for guys who grew up without a father, but I think it is useful too for any people, maybe particularly in their 20s, who are still trying to make sense of life. Plus Donald Miller has such a great writing style & a great way of looking at the world that I think his works are always worth a shot.

2. Turn My Mourning into Dancing - Henri Nouwen (currently reading)
I'm 1 chapter into this short book & really loving it. It talks about dealing with pain by facing it straight on and allowing God to be the healer, and about dancing in the midst of our pain rather than in spite of it. I plan to dedicate a post specifically to this book with many quotes.

3. True Faced - Bill Thrall, John Lynch, Bruce McNicol (sort of currently reading)
This book makes good points about 2 paths we can take in life: pleasing God or trusting God. Pleasing God rests on our efforts whereas trusting him focuses on his work & ultimately trusting him does please him. I'm having a bit of trouble getting through this one, the points are good though the writing is somewhat lacking, but I think my biggest issue is that the book is borrowed & I cannot write in it as I would like & as would help my focus.

4. The Blessing - Gary Smalley & John T. Trent
This was recommended by a friend & talks about healing & receiving blessing & being a blessing. I'll let you know my thoughts after reading it.

5. A friend from my old small group bought me a book, likely that will be next, though I don't know yet what it is.

6. Any suggestions?
This is what I have on my list currently, though I am not sure what I will tackle next:
The Inner Voice of Love - Henri Nouwen (very interested in this one)
The Way of the Heart - Henri Nouwen
Something of C.S. Lewis as this book has been sitting unloved on my shelf for over a year
The Seven Storey Mountain - Thomas Merton (I think perhaps I should finish New Seeds before tackling something else by Merton though.)

I'm open to recommendations. I have no interest in fiction right now; my focus is on pressing into God and healing and hope and life and joy. Anything spiritual or theological would be great. In fairness I am picky about nearly everything & books are no exception so as not to waste your time, I'm not a Rob Bell fan and I have no desire to read any dating or single malarkey at present. Thanks in advance for anything you can suggest!

Comments