Skip to main content
Today isn't sitting well with me. And that's strange because it wasn't a bad day. In fact on paper it would look like a great day. I had normal Saturday breakfast with the girls where we made chocolate chip pancakes and talked about boys. Or rather the other girls talked about boys, I was rather untalkative today. Then a quick trip to Target with Nicole where I bought a few of my favorite things: Care Bear bandaids, the new issue of Real Simple, and Diet Coke plus (that's Diet Coke with vitamins!). After we came home I ate cereal for lunch while watching my Red Sox beat the Yankees. :) Then I cooked sweet corn cake and pbj cheesecake bars (which I made up for a recipe contest & they're fabulous btw). And tonight was spent at a friend's house. Admittedly I was not in a social enough mood to be there, but I spent most of the evening playing with a tiny puppy so it was okay in that respect. And somehow I am sitting here at the end of a theoretically decent day & I just feel out of sorts and kinda sad. I think a part of it is due to a friendship that has fallen through the cracks & I don't know why & I don't know what to do to get it back. I used to depend on this person. I used to know that if I had a bad day (like a real bad day, not like today) I could call him and in 5 minutes he'd make me feel better. In fact when I moved to LA and was having a really hard time & was so alone, he always encouraged me and told me how proud he was of me for jumping in. The reason it's on my mind so much right now is this friend's birthday is coming up soon and I don't know what to do about it. It's been more than 4 months since we've communicated in any sort of manner. A part of me feels like I should call or at least email him. Another part of me feels like he won't care or respond because he hasn't for months. It's always sad when friendships fade, but mostly I've come to realize it's a part of life & accept that things change. But I don't think I'm ready to let this one go gently into that good night just yet.

Comments

aziner said…
thank you shauna. june can't come soon enough, I really need some shauna time in my life right now
Unknown said…
I'm sorry and I love you!

Diet coke with vitamins!!! :)
aziner said…
thanks roomie. diet coke with vitamins is the best!
Amber said…
for the record, and this is an unusual thing to hear me say, I love the pink.

:)

I don't know about you, but I am in serious need of a vacation...
aziner said…
glad you like the pink, that is a high compliment from you. :) I thought it was time for something different & to make the template more my own. the picture at the top is from the cherry blossom pictures I took this year.

and yes I could absolutely use a vacation right about now. I can't wait for the end of May, it's going to be so fun!
Keith said…
Hey Az (hope you don't mind the abbreviation.)

When I read this post, I felt my heart's strings pull in an empathetic direction; I was saddened by your veiled sorrow and quiet loneliness (I think that is an ok word, even if you were surrounded by friends. Please correct me if I am wrong.) I want you to know that there are people around you -- even when life seems normal but is far from it -- that care enough to take time out of their day to read your posts, check in on you and see how your spirit is fairing on the seas of this shared life.

Though the great moments in life do not usually come with the blowing of trumpets or the rustling of wings, remember that it is in the mundane, everyday existence that God wraps His mighty hand around our bosom to squeeze the love out of our greedy souls.

I will not pretend to know you well enough to tell you how amazing you are, but I trust that the posts above me will help to bring you a sense of joy, with full knowledge that it comes from Our Beloved Creator alone.

When it comes to your friend, you can only do so much. Though we might try and flail our arms in an attempt to capture the attention of those we love, sometimes the issues of their lives blind them to our teary-eyed acts of desperation. I would recommend a short letter, penned in your own hand, to say thank you for friendship and wish a happy birthday. Should nothing come of such an intimate (but not overly-so) I would say it is time for your feet to begin moving in another direction.

I am sorry this comment is so long; I can only hope that you gleaned some comfort from my words.
aziner said…
Keith,
Az is fine. :)
You are correct about my loneliness and I appreciate your empathy. You are right that I am blessed with people around me who care about me. It's just sometimes hard to see that through the tears.

I appreciate your advice about my friend. It does sound like a good idea. Unfortunately, I do not have his current address. And his birthday was yesterday so I ended up just texting him. It seems simultaneously too little & too much of a gesture if that makes sense. After this, I think I have no further choice but to walk away. It saddens my heart, but I know in time that will heal.

You are always welcome to leave long comments. You have a gift with words and I appreciate you sharing that with me. Because of you & others I am starting to feel better. Thanks for being a part of that.